Where is the freakin water coming from ???

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know that this question has been beat to death here on the forumn, but I stll got water coming in from under the dash some where. The Duster goes for interior and carpet next week and I got to stop the leak before it goes.
We put in new wiper seals so it aint coming from there, new wind sheild gaskets it possibly could be coming from there but I dont think so.

Where else can I check ??

Bob

The vent area in front of the windshield lets water drain down to the sides and down the inner fender.If that "floor" in there has a rust hole somewhere or where the vent hosing comes down into the passenger compartment,the top has about an inch lip around it,could it be coming in from those places?

down the cowl vent is my bet. My Barracuda use to soak my feet after a heavy rain. It would come out of the vent boxes.

well if your a little guy or have a smaller bodied person to get there head up under the dash with the doors closed while you or someone gets the hose and have at it with the water..tell them to look and feel for the leak.thats the only way I have found them...........Artie:coffee2:

It could be wiper pivot seals too if it's not the vents
easy fix parts are on ebay for that around 10-15 bucks

Ok,

We can rule out a few things here, definatly not a heater core ,we did a heater delete when we stripped the engine bay,not wiper seals, we replaced them already. Could be the "floor" of the vent area and that is what we will check next. Im 6'3" 280 lbs but I can get under there cuz there are no seats or any interior at all to stop me , I will do the water test and let you all know
Thanks to all who have responded

Bob

if i let my duster sit outside in the snow or the rain, i get little wet spots coming in from the heater core area, it comes in from the cowl drain when leaves and crap plug up the drain . that was my problem. i got in there with a pressure washer and blasted that crap out of the cowl area and so far so good. just a thought.........

When I bought my duster it leaked bad when it rained. The PO had drilled holes in the cowl under the hood on the drivers side to mount something. The srcrews went through the very bottom of the opening under the cowl, where the raised top of the vents come up through into the opening that is meant to keep the water from running down the vents. The screws went through to the inside of the firewall.

Its kind of hard to explain, and the screws did not need to be that long.

I replaced my Dart windshield and used a new weatherstrip (not cheap) and afterwards leaked bad. Was told that I should have used sealer in the glass grove and the body lip. Pulled it back out, sealed it with a thin tar like sealer made just for it and reassembled it. Leaks are all gone! Also, I had a weird noise at 140 MPH, it was a piece of windshield molding that was bent slightly away from the glass. Took all that back off, drove it, noise gone. Spent 12 hours polishing and tweaking the stainless trim so it would fit tight to the glass, noise gone. Making these cars better than the factory did is hard work!

windshield gasket is also a common place for water to leak in, like 69mope mentioned

I'm pulling the windshield out of my '74 for that reason. I always thought my wiper seals or cowl drains were the culprit. Nope, I happened to be at the car wash and saw it come in around the top and bottom corners of my windshield.

Ok, I just got done with getting up under the dash while my son was running the hose over the cowl vent ,I found 2 holes that were drilled up into the bottom side of the vent area, water was dripping steady from these area,but I also found that water was coming from my acellerator mount, I had it out when the car was painted and didnt think to seal it when I put it back in.

One other area that leaks is from where i screwed the fuse panel in on the side of the lower kick panel area, I sealed up all these spots and will retest tomorrow when every thing is dry . Good thing is is that my windsheild does not leak at all. He soaked the living sh#t out of the windsheild spraying it with full force. I will get back with you all tomorrow.

Thanks , Bob

-
Back