where is the USA compliance label on a 1973 Dart Sport?

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking at importing a US vehicle into Canada.
Does anyone know where the USA compliance label is and/or have a picture?

As per the RIV Vehicle import compatibility list - Explanations;
2. Admissible vehicles, except competition vehicles, snowmobile cutters and all terrain vehicles (ATVs), must be certified by OEMs to all applicable U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSSs). Two criteria can be used to determine this:

a) a compliance label affixed to the vehicle at the time of main assembly with one of the following statements,

"This vehicle conforms to the applicable federal motor vehicle safety, bumper and theft prevention standards in effect on the date of manufacture shown above"; or

"This vehicle conforms to all applicable U.S. federal motor vehicle safety standards in effect on the date of manufacture shown above"; or

b)a letter from the original manufacturer and the final stage manufacturer (if applicable) containing the same information as would appear on the compliance label.

Anyone import a vehicle into Canada lately and is this even required for a vehicle over 15 years of age?

Thanks

If it's older than 15 years it's exempt from the RIV program.
Check the exemptions on this page:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5048-eng.html#s3

I know I don't have to enter the RIV program and there will be no costs involved.

I just want to make sure i have my ducks in a row when I cross.
the reason i ask it it is found in EXPLANATIONS ON MANDATORY COMPLIANCE found on the first three pages of:
[ame]http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/vafus.pdf[/ame]

13. IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER AND BUSES MANUFACTURED BEFORE JANUARY 1, 1971
- Vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older, as determined by the month and year of manufacture, and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971, are no longer regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act by virtue of their age. While Transport Canada does not regulate the importation of these vehicles, it does not preclude the vehicles from having to meet provincial/territorial safety and licensing requirements. Importers of such vehicles are required to complete a Vehicle Import Form 1, at the time of importation, and present

proof of ownership. Also, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for clearance requirements.

I know that the decals on the inside of the drivers door jamb are there due to a repaint and this is probably the decal there going to want to see!

Am I over thinking this?????

I don't know about Manitoba, but in Alberta you need an out of province
inspection prior to registering an imported vehicle which is what paragraph
13 is referring to.

You will be given the Vehicle Import Form - Form 1 when you clear Canada
Customs that you'll need when registering the vehicle.

You need to clear US Customs first and they need the Title faxed to them
72hrs prior to crossing the border. (must be faxed to the crossing you'll be
using)
(https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/307/~/requirements-for-exporting-a-vehicle-%28including%3A-snowmobile,-atv-and-motorcycle%29)

What is required by Canada Customs is the vehicle title along with a bill
of sale with the purchase price on it. (they double checked me on this
and I had a copy of the bank draft I used for finalizing payment...)

They will also charge you any applicable taxes at the border as well (GST, etc.)

-
Back