Where to find 8 3/4 for an Abody

-

Rengo

Reaction score
Looking for a rearend for my duster, not wanting to pay shipping so wandering what year of cars, trucks and vans I could find an open 8 /3/4 with 323's

You won't find any in trucks or vans unless you want to narrow them. If you want an A-body size rear, you'll have to get it out of an A-body. All A-body widths are the same. Some B-body rears will fit (after perches are moved), they're just a little wider, so you'll have to watch your backspacing. I believe the measurement is 52 5/8 outside flange to flange on A-bodies.

Depends, I just paid $50.00 for a B Body 8 3/4 Housing and Big Bolt Pattern axles. The earlier B Body housing is about 1.8 inches wider on each side than an A Body Housing. The perches on A Body are 45 1/2 outside to outside and the Early B Body is Exactly 1 Inch wider at 46 1/2 inches.........

A100's have these rears usually posi..not sure of width.

What is the average cost for an 8.75?

A bare A-body housing usually runs $250-300 on ebay. A bare B/C/E housing would be considerably less since they are a lot more common.

8 3/4 were optional in a lot of A-bodies not just 340

That is true - I bought from the original owner and parted out a 71 Valiant 4 door that the guy ordered with an 8.75, 4 piston disc brakes and a slant 6! He stated he ordered it that way because he needed the heavy duty stuff for towing and the slant for day to day economy when not towing.

A-Body rearends are actually 43" from center of perch to center of perch and the 66-70 B-Body rearends are 44" from center of perch to center of perch. You don't even really need to move the perches to make the B-Body rear work in an A-Body, just move the springs over 1/2" on each side. The B-Body rear will give you LBP axles and bigger 10X2 1/2" brakes.

Joe

A-Body rearends are actually 43" from center of perch to center of perch and the 66-70 B-Body rearends are 44" from center of perch to center of perch. You don't even really need to move the perches to make the B-Body rear work in an A-Body, just move the springs over 1/2" on each side. The B-Body rear will give you LBP axles and bigger 10X2 1/2" brakes.

Joe

Sorry my measurement is actually outside to outside...........

72Swinger360 would be correct with the center to center measurements!!

-
Back