Where to Find a Carb Kit--2bbl 64 Dart GT 273ci?

-

Rhetor

Reaction score
Having trouble locating the right carburetor rebuild kit for the stock 2bbl on my 64 Dart GT with the original 273.

I know the carb is supposed to have a little brass tag on it . . . but someone took it off long before I bought the car last month.

The local parts guy has guessed wrong on two kits already.

The only stamped number I can find on the housing itself is two lines and says:

R-7939

Anybody know what the number was on the brass tag and where to order the right carb kit?

Thanks

That's a Holley number -- indicating a non-original carburetor ('64 273s had Carter BBD carburetors). A Holley type 7939 is a model 2280 carb, which was OE on some Mopar V8s starting in the mid-late '70s; 2280s were also marketed by Holley as service replacements for earlier applications originally equipped with Carter BBD and Stromberg WW3 carbs.

Walker kit number you need is 15702B (do try to get the Walker-made kit; I find them of better quality than others). If you can't find one locally, check with Walker themselves.

While you're in the carb, put in a new float -- they're made of Nitrophyll and will tend to absorb fuel over the years. Walker #100-88.

That's a Holley number -- indicating a non-original carburetor ('64 273s had Carter BBD carburetors). A Holley type 7939 is a model 2280 carb, which was OE on some Mopar V8s starting in the mid-late '70s; 2280s were also marketed by Holley as service replacements for earlier applications originally equipped with Carter BBD and Stromberg WW3 carbs.

Walker kit number you need is 15702B (do try to get the Walker-made kit; I find them of better quality than others). If you can't find one locally, check with Walker themselves.

While you're in the carb, put in a new float -- they're made of Nitrophyll and will tend to absorb fuel over the years. Walker #100-88.

Thanks, Dan . . . awesome . . . I was under the assumption it was the original carb . . . no wonder the two kits I got did not match up!

Makes my decision to find that 4bbl intake manifold and 4 bbl carb and convert to the 273 to Commando. :)

But for now, I am going to hunt down the Walker Kit and the Walker float!

Do you know of a specific parts store to recommend to find the Walker stuff locally . . . about all I have access to are National chains . . . clerks try hard for me, but they are scratching their heads?

Or do you know of an internet source?

I love this forum!!!!!:cheers:

Thanks!

Thanks, Dan . . . awesome . . . I was under the assumption it was the original carb . . . no wonder the two kits I got did not match up!

Makes my decision to find that 4bbl intake manifold and 4 bbl carb and convert to the 273 to Commando. :)

But for now, I am going to hunt down the Walker Kit and the Walker float!

Do you know of a specific parts store to recommend to find the Walker stuff locally . . . about all I have access to are National chains . . . clerks try hard for me, but they are scratching their heads?

Or do you know of an internet source?

I love this forum!!!!!:cheers:

Thanks!
I have a professionally rebuilt 2 barrell off my 65 273- less than 100 miles- I have gone to a Commando 273 look- cost me $105 to have rebult- sell it to you for $60 plus shipping from 21771- I just took it off in March- it worked fine......

Why is it so difficult to get carb parts and carbs for our cars?

Because our cars are long past their intended service life. Most carbs available are thrown-together "remanufactured" garbage that's been through the abusive "remanufacturing" process numerous times. The quality of all parts (not just carb parts) has been going down and down and down as companies outsource production to China and other cheap-labour parts of the world, and the market for carburetor parts is so small as to make it difficult for the few remaining suppliers of good-quality parts to make a go of it. That's all reason number one.

Reason number two is that many people aren't willing to pay what it costs to get good carburetors, parts, and service. We tend to be cheap; we tend to think parts for a '67 Dart should cost what they cost in '67 or maybe in '77 or '87. I am down to the last few of what used to be a pretty big stash of new old stock 1bbl and 2bbl Mopar carburetors from '60 to '80. I sold 'em off one by one at between $140 and $200 apiece…fact is, to come close to duplicating the condition, function, and appearance of these carbs, starting with a basically sound rebuildable unit, it would cost at least 50% more than that going through one of the skilled carb refurbishing outfits such as Buzzard or The Old Carb Doctor or the like.

I have a professionally rebuilt 2 barrell off my 65 273- less than 100 miles- I have gone to a Commando 273 look- cost me $105 to have rebult- sell it to you for $60 plus shipping from 21771- I just took it off in March- it worked fine......

Thanks, but I am going to rebuild the 2bbl I have for now . . . when I change out, I am going to go ahead and get a 4bbl intake and 4bbl carb and go to the Commando look and function too.

Since I am on the hunt, when I find the right ones (ready to bolt on, not rebuild) I can bolt on, then I will pull the trigger on the 4bbl parts . . . can't seem to find them right now . . . until then I will just rebuild the one I got since Dan pointed me in the right direction for the rebuild parts. That will get the car out of the shop and on the road, even if it is only 2bbl fun! :)

Appreciate the offer though! Thanks.

Thanks, Dan!

Called Walker . . . gave me a local chain . . . called . . . kit and float will be in tomorrow morning at 7:30 AM!

-
Back