Where to start with the weatherstripping

-

charm

Reaction score
At somepoint, I'm getting a '74 Dart from my father-in-law, it was my wife's grandfather's. I have great plans for it, but until I have a garage to implement these plans, it would just be nice to have a second car.

In the meantime, the only thing wrong wit the car is that it leaks. Having only seen it once, I know there's rust at both the front and rear windows. But, the father-in-law's mechanic said is was just weatherstripping.

I can't imagine there's more than $500 worth of weatherstripping that would need to be replaced to replace everything except the rubber around the front and rear windows. Is there a kit? Is there a list?

I'd like to head to my in-laws, weatherstripping in hand, replace all of it in their garage, and drive a totally resealed car home.

It's always a lot harder to do this kind of thing when you don't have physical possession of the car, so forums like this make it a lot easier!

Thanks

To start with is it a 2 door hardtop or a 4 door sedan?

I think I would get the car home and look it over first.

Does the car have a vinyl top? You should check out the rust issues under it and around the rear glass if if does. If the mechanic says it is rubber is causing the leaks around the front and rear glass then that would be the gaskets.

Does the car need a headliner? It is a real pain to put in when the window gaskets are already in.

No vinyl roof.

2 door.

Without covered parking, if I get home, the interior just gets wet. The only way this works is if I can figure it all out. Or, in this case, throw everything I can think of at it and fix the problem along with a bunch of non-problems.

Headliner and almost the entire interior is in perfect shape. There's a small tear on the driver's side of the front bench seat and it's a little tired, but in perfect condition otherwise.

The mechanic said it was the door seals and didn't mention the rubber, or rust, around the front and rear windows. Others have looked at those too and the only person worried about it being the rust is me. It'll get fixed eventually, but if it's not leaking now, I'll put it off until I have shop space, disassemble most of the car, and let the body shop deal with it along with the paint and a few dings (and replacing the fender that my mother-in-law destroyed).

Does this include everything that 'might' be leaking? Or should I add to my list?

http://www.stockinteriors.com/Weatherstrip.asp?Itemid=17312&MakeId=7&ModelId=136

Most Mopars leak around the wiper shafts or cowl drains are plugged up and leak through vents.

Most Mopars leak around the wiper shafts or cowl drains are plugged up and leak through vents.

I'll ask where the water first shows up when it leaks.

It might be obvious, like the side of your head is getting wet when somebody fires a hose at the back part of the window. Or, your toes get wet when the hose hits the cowl.

Or, I'll add cleaning the cowl area and fixing the wiper shaft leak to my list. Perhaps it'll take 2 days at my in-laws to get this all done!

Contact Jeff Deutchmann at Duetchmann Automotive. His number is 419-352-7894. Not only does he have all of the soft trim and weatherstrip items, but he owns a bunch of A bodies as well and is well versed as to what needs to go where!! And he's always $5-10 cheaper than anyone else!! Geof

-
Back