Where's my socket?

-

69B-Cuda

Reaction score
So... last night, I was sealing up valve covers and dropped my socket when tightening the rear bolt on the drivers side. I listened carefully for it to hit the floor but, alas.. it got hung up somewhere! I moved my light to where I could see down along the driver side of the engine and it had fallen right on top of my starter, I could see it, no problem. When I reached down to get it, it slipped and dropped out of sight but again, it never hit the ground. I thought maybe it was sitting on top of the starter and I just couldn’t see it so, I pulled the starter out… no socket anywhere to be found! I am running an MSD mini starter and it does not fill up the complete hole in the bellhousing! The socket slipped into the bellhousing DOH! I pulled the inspection cover off and there it was laying on the bottom right in front of the torque converter. I’m glad it did not drop behind or get wedged in the starter ring teeth… that could have been WAY BAD!

What's some more strange places you guys have dropped stuff and had them land?

My 85 chevy caprice ate a couple of my 1/4" ignition wrenches. Never found them and they never hit the ground.

I just welded up an oil pan for a guy with a 454 Chevy that when he was changing the cam dropped a lifter and never found it, replaced the lifter, fired the engine and it spit out the side of his new oil pan like a bullet and destroyed the starter. The hole looked like it was perfectly punched. We now nicknamed him 17 lifters, he hates it gets mad! LOL it will be a long time before he lives that one down. Didn't hurt anything else, not even a mark on the counterweight! He was lucky!

I just found an intake bolt in my oil pan -thanks Peter willie you useless clown .The local self proclaimed King of Mopar ,he did the intake swap a couple of years ago .

engine compartments eat alot of my tools, usually find them a couple years later.
they never hit the ground. never lost one inside a motor, yet. lol

I started marking my tools with my initials cause I always lose them. I usually find them in other peoples tool boxes years later.

-
Back