Which Aluminum Rad for 69 Cuda with 440?

-

3yearcuda

Reaction score
I have searched many posts on the site and there is great information in regards to what people are using for rads in what body, with what engines.

I am looking for ideas of what you are running for a radiator in your A-body with a 383/440 or 426 with an opening of 17"H x 22"W.

My current stock radiator is a brass 4 core, 22"H x 19W. Its in a 69 Barracuda with 440 and is on the brink of not enough on a hot day. I would like to at least fill the opening with an aluminum and 3 inches wider. I sure want to avoid any cutting of the rad support. Both my outlets are on the drivers side.

If you don't mind, please let me know what you're running in your big block A-body.

Brand name, size, and a part number, if you have one would be great.

Thanks much and appreciate the help.

I'm running a factory 033 radiator in my GTS which is the same as a hemi LO car. It is 22in, but I had it recored by Glen Ray with a 3 core. Haven't driven ca yet, but just broke in cam and engine with no overheat issues.

I have searched many posts on the site and there is great information in regards to what people are using for rads in what body, with what engines.

I am looking for ideas of what you are running for a radiator in your A-body with a 383/440 or 426 with an opening of 17"H x 22"W.

My current stock radiator is a brass 4 core, 22"H x 19W. Its in a 69 Barracuda with 440 and is on the brink of not enough on a hot day. I would like to at least fill the opening with an aluminum and 3 inches wider. I sure want to avoid any cutting of the rad support. Both my outlets are on the drivers side.

If you don't mind, please let me know what you're running in your big block A-body.

Brand name, size, and a part number, if you have one would be great.

Thanks much and appreciate the help.

I put a 26 in alum Champion rad in 2 of my B bodies with a 22 inch opening. I just set the rad on the factory bolts on the drivers side...leveled...and drilled holes through the support on the other side. I used a 2 one inch tube model with tank(claimed direct fit and was correct) and a 70 RR shroud fit perfect and lined up perfect. Both motors were 498 strokers. Also used a 7 blade steel fan with clutch..no heat issues. The same rad is now on my 472 hemi in a 26 inch openning and works great. The rad cost me about 220..new...and the local chrysler dealer found the shroud in Pa in dealer stock a couple years ago. Best of luck

Was thinking about one of these from Engineered Cooling Products. From the measurements it looks like it should bolt right in. Will need a new shroud though as mine is set up for the current narrow stock 17.5" wide rad.

The price is decent even though it will come from Chicago to Canada. Old reviews were not that good but htier site says they make em in house.

https://www.speedcooling.com/22-Mopar-BIG-BLOCK-HD-Aluminum-Radiator.html

Attachments

• rad1.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 184
Do you have a fan shroud on the one that you have? I run a stock 3 core with a shroud and a 160 degree stat and it barely gets to 185.

I do have a shroud, 3 core, 7 blade fan with clutch and 160 stat also. Believe it or not, we get a few summer days here at +33c/91f where at idling it'll hit 190 to 200. It doesn't overheat, but I would like to see the 185 that your getting mcodecuda.
I don't think the rad has been touched so no doubt has 47 years of crud in it, so might be worthwhile to recore it rather than buy a new rad, as I would then also need another shroud.
My current rad is, I believe stock, 17.5" wide 3 core. The opening is 22.5"
Just hate to spend the money recoring an old 17.5" if at least a 22" core with the 440 is gonna be needed. The car was a 318 originally. Is your stock 3 core the 17.5"wide core, or is it actually 22" wide and fills the opening?
Thanks.

-
Back