Which bellhousing would be best

-

Therefurbman

Reaction score
I recently picked up a A-body 4 speed C89126-8 and a A-body C13386-2 od 4 speed transmission to put into a 1969 valiant with a 340 small block (the car was originally a slant 6 auto).
My question is they came with 2 different bellhousings the first being a cast iron 2465523 (which looks to fit a 64 - 66 a-body) the second being a 3743859 aluminum for the OD transmission. Which bellhousing do you this would be best for me to use (I plan on using the C89126 and not the overdrive transmission)? Or is there a different bellhousing that I would need to get?

I believe your input bearing retainers will be different sizes, therefore different size 'hole' in the bellhousing. I think pick the bell that 'fits' the retainer of the trans you're going to use..

I believe your input bearing retainers will be different sizes, therefore different size 'hole' in the bellhousing. I think pick the bell that 'fits' the retainer of the trans you're going to use..
The challenge is that the iron bellhousing has a different shape to it because of it needing to fit in a smaller tunnel. And the over drive housing does have the larger diameter hole but, does that really matter if the hole is a bit bigger that needed? does it need to be a exact fit?

Pretty sure the early A will be for a smaller clutch so go with the later aluminum unit....

The early A cast iron bellhousing was for a 122 tooth flywheel and 9.5" clutch.

Those transmissions you have require different bellhousings. The standard 4 speed for the cast iron bell will have a 4.35" retainer. The OD transmission has a 5.125" retainer.

The bearing retainer is what centers the input shaft, not the bolts holding the transmission to the bell. If you want to use the OD bellhousing with its 5.125" bearing retainer opening with the earlier trans and its 4.35" bearing retainer, you MUST use an adaptor to make up the difference. You may be able to buy an adaptor ring from QuickTime or one of the aftermarket bellhousing manufacturers, as they usually make the opening 5.125" and use an adaptor because there are several different bearing retainer sizes for the 833 trans.

I'd see if you can find an adaptor ring first. I know the Lakewood 833 bells used to come with them. Then you could use the OD bell, and if you changed your mind about using the OD trans later you could just swap the trans and not the bell.

If you want the correct bell for your non overdrive set up i would trade you for your overdrive bell. PM us if interested.

-
Back