Which bellhousing?

-

FomocoReformed

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out IDing which bellhousing I need to complete my 4 speed swap? It's the last piece I need to complete my engine. I have a B 383 and I need to know what bellhousing casting I need to fit up my 833 to it. The 833 is an overdrive unit with the 5.125" input bearing retainer, having a hard time deciphering which casting number would fit this application in an A body, if any. Am I going to need a truck bellhousing? :banghead:

There is no factory bellhousing for that application. If you get a '70 aluminum bellhousing with the large register hole for the 308 bearing trans and the input shaft bearing support that will work. The O/D A833 uses the 308 bearing for the input shaft but the 307 bearing on the mainshaft. I believe the register hole is 4.80" You can also have the O.D. of the stock 5.125 input shaft bearing support ground down to 4.80" hope this helps

Yes the '70 big block aluminum bellhousing is what you are looking for. It is also possible to view out the register hole to 4.80 on small register big block bell but you would need a good machine shop to do it. Seeing as you don't have a bell to start with why not buy a quick time bellhousing. They have the 5.125" register to run the OD A833.

Ok so from what I'm understanding I need to get a '70 BB aluminum housing, which would have a 4.80 hole, and then have my bearing retainer turned down from 5.125 to 4.80?

I would get a quick time housing if I could afford it but I just don't have $500 for this. I can afford $200 or so for a factory bell but that's about my limit.

I don't think you will find a large register bellhousing for $200 but I could be wrong. They only came on '70 and '71 big block cars with the heavy duty trans, the rest were small register. You might want to try brewers or passon to see what they have repro. You might be able to find an old lakewood with the 5.125" register. I would save for the quick time if you plan on drag racing the car.

I was looking at the lakewood bells, they're cheaper to find than the quick time pieces. I don't plan on drag racing it but it's going to be an autocross/road race car.

I have a suggestion that may or may not work, but if I was in your situation I'd at least look into it.

The 5.125 bearing retainer has a bolt circle of 4.16 inches
The 4.807 bearing retainer also has the 4.16 inch bolt circle
You might be able to use a big block bellhousing with the 4.807 bearing retainer hole on the OD transmission with the 4.807 bearing retainer.

I had considered that but didn't have any way of getting those measurements, I'll have to look into this and see if it's possible. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier for me to just swap the bearing retainer since I'd really like to keep the O/D for highway cruising. Great info!

Also going to see how much it would cost me to have my retainer turned down to 4.807 and that the cheapest route would be.

Your welcome! Just so you know, Brewers performance sells both the bellhousing and the bearing retainer. Give those guys a call, they should be able to tell you whether or not it will work.

I had considered that but didn't have any way of getting those measurements, I'll have to look into this and see if it's possible. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier for me to just swap the bearing retainer since I'd really like to keep the O/D for highway cruising. Great info!

Also going to see how much it would cost me to have my retainer turned down to 4.807 and that the cheapest route would be.

Yes you can turn down the Od of the OD retainer to 4.80 so it will fit the 513 alum bell , that would probably be cheaper than buyer another retainer unless you get lucky and find one used .

Good luck finding that bell for 200 or less , I hope you aren't in a hurry . Brewer has them as a repop but they are something like 350 and originals are 250 plus ...

-
Back