Which branch should I join?

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
As the title says, which one? I've narrowed it down to two Air Force or Army. Pros/cons what you liked/disliked about your time in. Really open for as much info as I can get here. If you don't feel like posting here, pm me. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Oh, something to consider I'll be going in as an officer.

I am a Army man but I have to say the Air Force is the better branch of Service.

I spent seven years in the Air Force. I was an engineer at Space and Missile Systems Center in Los Angeles. Fascinating stuff. I had the choice of Air Force or Navy ROTC. At the time the Navy sent you to sea for 8 years before they let you near engineering duty. In contrast, the Air Force put me in an engineering acquistion job right out of college.

Air Force is also the most relaxed branch of the service. I would rather the emphasis be on what I know and do than on how shiny my shoes are and how sharp the creases in my uniform are.

I'm sure I've pissed off lots of people with that. Don't flame me too hard.

Good information keep it coming! Other info, I wear glasses so flying jobs are not open to me. Also if I'm joining, I'm in it for at LEAST 20

I think the Air Force is the hardest branch to get into as well. So if you've got the grades or test scores you should take advantage. The Air Force is probably the most technology focused branch so you're more likely to work on high tech equipment which could give you more marketable skills coming out.

Another consideration might be risk of life and limb. They tend to park the multi-million dollar jets out of harms way so you're less likely to be forward deployed in a combat zone.

As a retired soldier, (Army) I can tell you this,
If you are looking for action, adventure and travel, get a job in the movie studios, because it isn't the military.
The Army will teach you skills that are completely useless outside of the military. However, if learning to fire weapons, using said weapons is your thing have at it. but keep this in mind, there is a lot of in-between time. You will live in dirty, nasty places, eat crappy food and in general be treated like crap until you get some rank.
The one time that I was assigned to an Air Force flight, it was like heaven. Hot, good food, showers, clean clothes, a bed to sleep in. It was unreal. I came ready to sleep on the ground, and eat MRE's. They looked at me like I was nuts.
The very best advice I can give you is this, spend time with both branch's. The recruiters shouldn't have an issue with this. They will blow sunshine and rose's up your butt, it's their job, just don't be rash. If I had it to do again, I'm thinking Air Force would be the way to go. I don't regret joining the Army, but looking back, I could have been a lot easier on myself.

What do you want to do? That is the biggest part; what fits your goals better? ie you can't fly fighter jets in the Army.

I'd like to work in the aviation field (both military and civilian) so I'd have a marketable skill in the civilian world. I will get my MBA while in so hopefully that will help me stay in and hit that 20. I do know that it is harder to get promoted and stay in, under the Air Force if your not a pilot. Army is bigger and getting promoted and staying would be easier.

I spent my time in the Navy. At the time, it was because I wanted to see the world and not get stuck on the same base for two or more years. Looking back, I'm wondering if maybe the Air Force would have been the better choice. Sure, I would have been stuck at that base, but the quality of life would have been much better. When I was going to A-School at NATTC Millington, TN, there was an Air Force school on base as well. From what I was told, all of the Air Force personnel that were stationed there got extra money each month because the Navy barracks were not up to Air Force standards. Hell, they were barely up to Navy standards if you ask me. When I got to my ship in Alameda, CA, I drove up to Vacaville and visited a friend stationed at Travis AFB, and the difference between his barracks and mine was like the difference between a typical Cubs baseball season, and a Cardinals baseball season. Night and day, in other words.

All that being said, I would greatly recommend that you follow the advice offered by gunbunny and spend time with the recruiters and check out both sides of the coin. Be prepared to sift through a lot of BS and just keep your eyes open and your mind open. Once you think you have all the info you need to make your decision, do it and don't look back. Regardless, only you can decide what you think will be best for you. Good luck to you, and thank you in advance for your service.

I'd like to work in the aviation field (both military and civilian) so I'd have a marketable skill in the civilian world. I will get my MBA while in so hopefully that will help me stay in and hit that 20. I do know that it is harder to get promoted and stay in, under the Air Force if your not a pilot. Army is bigger and getting promoted and staying would be easier.

Yes it is easy to get promoted,but the Army will use you up faster and with what you want to do for a living the Air Force is a better fit

I used to be a USAF pilot. Wanted fighters, got SAC tankers so I didn't last long. Now work engineering as a civilian for the Army. Both have aviation. If you are looking at long term and going to be an officer that means making field grade (O-4 and above) to get 20. In aviation in the Army acquisition most of the officers are pilots.

Why not try to get into flying transports in the USAF - can your vision get corrected to 20-20?

I would echo someof the others. I was Army enlisted back 40+ years ago and when my daughter began looking to go into the service as a Medical Officer, I strongly encouraged her to go Air Force. Years ago in the tailing days of Viet Nam the Air Force was head and shoulders above the Army in terms of being a much more laid back, relaxed branch that had better education systems and training. Not near the amount of spit and shine and typical military BS.
In more recent years I saw it with my nephew who is a career AF officer. There used to be and may still be a slight edge on ease of promotions in the Army but I think you'd be better off in the AF.

No brainer, Air Farce. KP? That's what civilians are for. Up all night pulling guard duty? We have Sky Cops for that. An hour of PT every morning followed by a 6 mile run? Not if you can cover 1 1/2 miles in less then 15 minutes once a year. You say you're cold and wet 'cause it's raining and 40 degrees outside? Why were you out there, it wasn't all THAT necessary. Breakfast? How do you want your eggs cooked. Don't like what's available on the chow line for lunch? Step over to the sandwich line and let us know how you want your burger and whether or not you want fries with that. Dinner? How do you want your steak. It's basically a 9-5 job with room and board thrown in. Just be ready to do your job to the best of your ability to ensure that not too many of those 6 million Gomers escape obliteration when it is their turn to receive the attention they attracted by harming a fellow American. The Army and Marines kill soldiers. We kill massive amounts of soldiers AND civilians when needed. Do you have what it takes to deal with that?

Air Force.
Your living conditions, and work enviorment, will be 100% better than the Army.

I honestly don't know if my eyes are correctable (never asked). I know with me glasses on I have 20/20.
Flying would be cool but working on them is just as well to me. The only other thing (which I'm not sure would help or hurt me) is that I'm in my late 20s so life exp and maturity is there but I am older than most going in.
Moving from base to base doesn't bother me one bit, my father is retired military so I'm use to it.

I wouldn't worry too much about promotions. If you can fog a mirror, you'll make Captain at the same time as everybody else in your year group. Keep your nose clean and do what you're supposed to and Major is almost assured, just a question of whether you make it above or below the zone (late or early) or at the same time as everyone else.

Lt Col gets you to 20 and I don't think that's all that hard either. You said you're planning to get your MBA. That's one of the squares you have to fill. There are a few other training requirements. Complete them and stay out of trouble and you'll make Lt Col.

Full bird Colonel is another story. You have to be hand picked and really be on your game for that one. But not required to retire with 20 years.

If I had to do it over it would be Air Force. I spent time in the Army and for a while was stationed at McChord AFB..... The food there was WAY better than the Army.

I was in Aviation for most of my time in the Army. I was scheduled for OCS and passed all my tests for being a helicopter pilot. Turned it down the day i got my orders and was sent immediately to Vietnam. Spent my time as a doorgunner in a UH1H slick. When I got out there wasn't a lot of job openings for my service connected MOS in civilian life... so make sure you get a job that you like and one that will be an advantage when you get out.

I ended up being a Hardware/Software Engineer when I got out.

I spent 4 years in the Air Force as a C5 crew chief, then I spent 4 more years in the Army National Guard as a heavy equipment operator. Basically I feel like I traded in my American Express card (to get a hotel room) , to getting issued a shelter half and sleeping bag . I kick myself to this day for not staying in the AF. It was like a regular 5 day a week job except it was exciting and rewarding. The food was the best, the barracks were nice, and the travel was always decent. My only complaint was working on iced over planes in the wind covered in hydraulic fluid. It wasnt so bad in the summer, I really enjoyed it. As far as the Army Guard , it was only part time, but that was enough for me. Seemed like a lot of hurry up and wait, I was usually filthy wishing I could get a shower and a clean uniform. Basically it was like camping out with a bunch of guys who dont like each other. The food was alright, but didnt compare to the AF. When I did stay in a barracks it was usually a place left over from WW2. I did travel to quite a few places in the Guard , but 90% of the time they were not very nice places. I would say hands down the AF is where I would rather be!

I'd rather be the motherfu*ker dropping bombs on other motherfu*kers than than be the motherfu*ker gettin' bombs dropped on me.

Well I don't get in trouble and I don't smoke, don't drink, and never tried drugs so that's a plus.

I spent 7 years as an KC-135 tanker mechanic. I got to see a lot of the world during those seven years. Some great places and some not so. Then I spent 7 years as a F16 mechanic in the Air National Guard, not as many deployments in the guard. Then my last 6 years I have been working in the Communications field in the Air Guard. I have seen how the other branches live when they are deployed and the Air Force is by far the best. Pilots are over rated plus you have to have a Bachelors degree just to get selected and then it can take a couple of years to become a pilot. I would say if you want to work on air craft go into the Air Force. IMO

-
Back