Which butyl sealer for back glass?

-

DrCharles

Reaction score
I finally got an undamaged back glass for my '72 Swinger. I put 3M Bedding & Glazing compound #08509 between the glass and the gasket, fit it to the glass, and poked a small nylon rope into the body groove of the gasket. So far so good.

But should I lay a bead of the same stuff on the pinch weld all the way around? Looks like it will make an unholy mess when the rope is pulled to the inside of the car. I've read that strip caulk or butyl tape are options but may be too fat to install easily.

Any hints or tricks? I've read lots of threads on this install but few address the issue of how/where to apply the gasket-to-body sealant. Thanks :)

I finally got an undamaged back glass for my '72 Swinger. I put 3M Bedding & Glazing compound #08509 between the glass and the gasket, fit it to the glass, and poked a small nylon rope into the body groove of the gasket. So far so good.

But should I lay a bead of the same stuff on the pinch weld all the way around? Looks like it will make an unholy mess when the rope is pulled to the inside of the car. I've read that strip caulk or butyl tape are options but may be too fat to install easily.

Any hints or tricks? I've read lots of threads on this install but few address the issue of how/where to apply the gasket-to-body sealant. Thanks :)
Before installing the gasket, use a foam tape on the pinch-weld. No goopy mess that way.
Chrysler did this on some cars and it works well.
I use a foam weatherstrip tape that is about 1/2" wide that I have found. Has to be soft enough to squish and yet fill the voids

Interesting suggestion... how thick was the weatherstrip tape that you used?
I have tried a few, but
the best I have used is a "P" profile weatherstrip from Home Depot. It is white, soft foam. Don't remember the brand name. Comes as double roll in a cardboard package. Sticks well.
You can rope in the window without tearing it, and it seals perfect.
I have done many this way, and no leaks.

In all the cars I’ve replaced glass - and trucks with the same style gasket with filler insert. The sealer butyl goes only between the gasket and glass. The gasket is what seals to the pinch weld. Possibly why so many rot out due to water sitting there and never drying out. A foam tape would just hold more water.
Also I believe the foam was used only on cars with vinyl tops. Very thin stuff so the install guys on the line who some were drunk- lol! Did not damage the vinyl top.

In all the cars I’ve replaced glass - and trucks with the same style gasket with filler insert. The sealer butyl goes only between the gasket and glass. The gasket is what seals to the pinch weld. Possibly why so many rot out due to water sitting there and never drying out. A foam tape would just hold more water.
Also I believe the foam was used only on cars with vinyl tops. Very thin stuff so the install guys on the line who some were drunk- lol! Did not damage the vinyl top.
The foam does not hold water. Won't cause rust. Water leaking into your car will. I'll choose no leaks

I thought the FSM says to use butyl in both places (glass to gasket, and gasket to pinch weld)... on the other hand, there are lots of our Mopars with rusty pinch welds.

The foam does not hold water. Won't cause rust. Water leaking into your car will. I'll choose no leaks

I prefer -el’natrual. You are right about the foam not holding water. It’s not a sponge. My view is any layer in there has the ability to trap moisture. That’s all. I’ve done over 50 pieces of glass over the years just like that with only one leak. No issues.

I also looked at the pointed lower corners of the back glass gasket. The seam between the rear quarter and the trunk has plenty of hardened seam sealer there... no way there is going to be a seal without some kind of flexible (e.g. butyl) at least in that area.

I'm going to try it without sealer on the pinch weld. Car probably will never see rain anyway! I can always squirt some under the gasket later if need be... or remove it and start again without a mess left behind.

I have tried a few, but
the best I have used is a "P" profile weatherstrip from Home Depot. It is white, soft foam. Don't remember the brand name. Comes as double roll in a cardboard package. Sticks well.
You can rope in the window without tearing it, and it seals perfect.
I have done many this way, and no leaks.

Is this the stuff you are referring to? My Dart had the white foam seal in it. But it was just a flat type about a half inch wide.

Google Shopping - Product not found

Butyl? We don't need no stinkin' butyl! :D
Car window repair.jpg

-
Back