Which Caliper?!?

-

dusterdan

Sublime Member
Reaction score
help!! doing an 11.75" brake upgrade on my 70 duster....autozone has both of these calipers for a 78 Chrysler Córdoba...which do I need? What's with the difference with the pistons?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The only difference I see is in the piston design. I like the thicker piston if I have a choice

The only difference I see is in the piston design. I like the thicker piston if I have a choice

Great, thanks for the info! Now, will the thicker/thinner piston choice make a difference with my brake pad choice? Isn't there pad pins that have to snap into the center bore of the pistons?

No,not all remanufatures use the same parts suppliers and they could have also ran out of either style and started using the other if both are rebuilt by the same company. If you can,make them match.

the shoe for the piston side does have 2 or 3 tangs that hold it in place and the thicker piston will hold it firmer but either way the pad isn't going to come off once you put it back together.

The difference isn't "thicker or thinner", the difference is materials. The thin appearing piston is chromed steel, and stronger, the thick appearing piston is phenolic resin in it's
construction. The phenolic piston transfers less heat to the fluid, and won't rust. However it will break down over time and start chipping/flaking & seizing anyway, so it comes down
to your preference, and intended application.
I chose steel pistons for my 11.75 disc setup on the '64 GT cpe FWIW.........

I always choose steel pistons. Phenolic and resin are just fancy names for plastic. I don't want a plastic brake caliper piston.

seems like metal would be the way to go for me:) My duster is just the occasional weekend driver in dry and sunny so-cal, so rust shouldn't be an issue here....thanks guys! I'll go back and see what I can get.

Any recommendations on decent brake pads? Again, not racing the car but a nice, reliable driver is what I'm after.

-
Back