which clutch has smoothest engagement?

-

Ehbody

Reaction score
Hi guys( this is a generic greeting and includes the ladies) I have a '70 duster with a stock 340 and 3:55 suregrip rear...just for street use,no racing...I'm not the smoothest manual driver, but not bad...looking for opinions on which pp/clutch is the smoothest engaging for my needs or do I get hydraulic?...Thanks, Dan

If you don't want to swing the cash for a Centerforce, get a diaphragm style "stock replacement". (A diaphragm style wasn't stock but you can get them in a stock configuration).

Stock replacement clutches normally have more "Marcel" than race or high performance clutches. The amount of "Marcel" is what gives the smooth engagement.

Do not get a Borg & Beck (factory, 3 finger style). Borg & Beck style clutches give a heavier peddle and in some brands, a higher failure rate.

With that said…. Get a Centerforce if you can.

Forgot to mention...I am considering the McLeod Street Pro(it is a diaphram style). I guess it will be between this or the Centerforce dual friction....Any other opinions?

Don't mess with the McLeod. Get a Centerforce Dual Friction. I love mine. Easy to drive and it doesn't slip when I beat on the car. The only downside is that you need to break in the CF Dual Friction disc before you beat on the car.

Smoothest engagement would be a diaphragm pressure plate with twin disks (think McLeod Street Twin or something similar). Twin disk clutches are long lasting too, said to be almost impossible to wear out. Just got to get your head around the upfront cost and not cheap out like me.

-
Back