Which company for narrowing a 29 spline 8 1/4 rear end

-

1ToughDuster

Reaction score
I pulled a 8.25 sure grip 3.92 geared 29 spline rear end from a 2001 Durango R/T 4x4.

It'll be going under my 400hp 74 Duster. Has anyone done this type of conversion before and what shops East of the Mississippi are best for narrowing the rear end and axles?

How much too wide is it, can you use different off set wheels to keep the tires under the fenders? I'm just curious because I've never tried using a Durango axle assembly under an A body. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

IMHO if your truly going to have 400hp, then go with a 8.75

The cost of shaving down that 8.25 and re-splining the c-clip axles would just not worth it to me, If I were doing the same thing.

Personally I took a CBody rear cut it down and had the axles re-splined years ago so that I could have the large bolt pattern axles and 11" brakes and came in at under 1000. But now I have a plenty strong rear I don't have to worry about plus I can chuck in quickly whatever geared chunk I want.

However if you do go with the 8.25, I would be really interested in seeing a build thread here with picks for sure as I'm sure many would. The steps and learning would be great!

I pulled a 8.25 sure grip 3.92 geared 29 spline rear end from a 2001 Durango R/T 4x4.

It'll be going under my 400hp 74 Duster. Has anyone done this type of conversion before and what shops East of the Mississippi are best for narrowing the rear end and axles?
Lots of guys on here are getting good at shortening differentials, LOL.
I for one after shortening two Ford 8.8''s would do it myself. Buy your axles the length you want, cut it and re-weld it. Or for that matter use a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer. Good gear ratios, trac-loc and disc brakes. Couple really good threads on here about it, unless you're not able to DIY or have to keep it all Mopar.

Last edited:
-
Back