Which Engine? Which Intake?

-

eekvonzipper

My Member is Legendary!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Engine Has 273 Adjustable Rockers on it and An Eddy Ld4b.
Does the Ld4b mean it's a Later LA?
Isn't the Eddy Intake for Early 273 Motors just called a D4B?
trying to figure out what is in this old '63 Valiant

LD4B edit.jpg

D4B is the manifold for the original ('64/'65) 273 with the "odd" intake bolt angle.
LD4B is the later ('66 and up) manifold for the now-standard bolt angle.
Both are identical otherwise, small port (273/318) runner size.
Since it has an LD4B on it, your engine is a '66 and up motor, or an earlier block with '66 and up heads.
To know what the block is, look for the casting numbers on the driver's side of the block for the displacement, and on the passenger side for the casting date.

Any numbers and letters stamped below the drivers side cylinder head on the front of the block?

Pull an intake bolt out and see if it's a 5/16 or 3/8. 5/16 were used on the 64-65 heads. Truth is.....either intake will work on the wrong heads it wasn't designed for. I ran the D4B intake in the pic below on a 71 318 in a Challenger for several years with no problems. Pic below shows that same D4B sitting on the 273 that I just built and it has 302 heads on it with the later bolt angle. I tightened the bolt in the pic down just until the washer touched on the bottom. The gap at the top is how much of an angle washer is needed for it to be done properly, instead of the tighten and hope method I used years ago....lol. If you have 64-65 heads and duplicate the pic above using the LD4B, the gap will be at the bottom instead of the top.
IMG_1741.JPG

Pull the starter off and get the casting number on the block behind it.

Distributor is just laid on the side of the intake. Going by valve covers looks to be small block. Not B block.

Folks do a bit of grinding on a LD4B surface along where the intake bolts are to line up with the different head angle the pre 66 small blocks have. You could have a 63/64/65 273 block with heads and a LD4B that been slightly modified to fit.

Might be some numbers left under the paint and rust, grab a scraper and see what it uncovers.

i'd bet good money those aren't the stock heads.

wonder what the block is. looks like a cool little time capsule and fun project.

Great looking car that we need to see a lot more of when you pick it up, though!

Shoot.....it's a drag car, so that's probably a 416 stroker with them real good 302 heads on it so the intake bolts will line up. Phooey on the CFM.....it's all about velocity!!

:rofl:

On closer inspection, it looks like there are some numbers underneath that paint. Not seeing a lot where the plant, year, and cubic inch identifiers are, but can make out quite a bit of a sequence number. A razor blade will uncover it if it’s there… I’m personally pulling for you to become a member of the “Club 340 or larger!”

Last edited:
-
Back