Which engine?

-

LS-300

Reaction score
I'm looking at my 68 Barracuda and having a problem on which engine I should put under the hood.
I have a good 360 that I could rebuild and drop in.
I couuld take the 360 and stoke it to a 408 and use that
OR I could go with a new Hemi. Either a 5.7 or a 6.1l
Which way should I go.
Original engine is long gone and it's been converted over to a 4sp so a manual will go back in.

400-450 hp or less 360 408 if you want more and Hemi if you got $$$$ and want to be kool :)

Small block LA engine. Its easier. Already set up for it.

New Hemi. Problems making it all fit. Lots of modifications needed. I think theres threads for this. What to modify etc.

I would drop a 383 or 440 in it... Can be accomplished with great power and somewhat on a budget rather than a hemi which is a pain all the way around... or just rebuild the 360 and be happy with a small block:confused:

I may need a 360 block for my 67 if you go a different route!

5.9 magnum short block(almost free), EQ heads, larger roller cam than stock one, valve springs and timing set=400-450 HP for $2000. If you want cool factor, run factory injection with your 4 or 5 speed and you will never look back, except at all the cars in the rear view!!!

Judging by your avatar I would assume you would like 408 the best. Less $ for classic bump and rumble and smoke the tires fun.

Budget hasn't really been set yet.
Horsepower is what ever it ends up as I plan on this being a street car for my pleasure and I like the feeling of the hard acceleration from time to time. You know planting someone back in the seat hard and seeing the whites of their eyes from the surprise.
The engine I currently have and planned on using is an LA motor out of a 79-300 I scrapped as the body was too badly rusted to save.
I have seen some new Hemi's for sale with a 6 sp under 8k that include the computer, pedals and generally are ready to drop in a properly prepared car. They don't have any HP advantage over a good SB LA motor but it is a Hemi.
Problem is how much fabrication would be needed to drop the Hemi in. Is it really that $$$? Have many successfully done this in an A-Body? I've seen some in B-Bodies but none in the A.
I do have a BB k-frame in it right now but like the quick revs of the SB.
My real goal is to have a good looking car that will run well and be reliable enough to take a CC trip in it. I originally wanted something that looked original. But as you all know sometimes in mid build you tend to question what you really want and some times switch directions.

SB and put it on a diet plan. Lots of aluminum. Get the weight out of the front end, and you can run manual steering and it will be easier to steer, and the car will handle better without the extra weight.

I am using lots of aluminum and light weight stuff in the front on my 67 notch. Besides aluminum heads and intake manifold , i am even using an aluminum cased A833, and aluminum V8 bellhousing. Mini denso starter, mini denso alternator, custom made aluminum alternator brackets, aluminum radiator. Looking into a lithium ion car battery as well. Prices on those should be in the range of affordable by the time i will need one.

I am trying to get the car down to about $2,750 lbs curb weight by taking most of the weight off the front for better handling without needing 1.03" torsion bars. The 2,855 is shipping weight for a small block V8 coupe, complete car minus tank of gasoline

She currently has manual steering and I don't plan on going with power.

She currently has manual steering and I don't plan on going with power.

May i recommend the small block, and a diet plan for it.

Also thinking hard about a fiberglass front bumper. I can get it spectra chromed, and use the light weight fiberglass bumper mounts.

I concur with those who are saying stick with the LA 360 small block. That's what I have at the moment and I'm happy with it. Not to say I won't stroke it to a 408 in the future if I can free up some fundage.

Build the 360 or better yet stroke it properly built you'll laugh at most big blocks:D:D

Original plan was to just rebuilt the 360. I have an LD340 manifold and a set of 68 HP exhaust. Now I'm looking to build he 360 to close to 400HP and keep it stock looking for a sleeper. I then saw a 408 for sale here and thought why not?

-
Back