Which frame rail connectors to use?

-

super70bird

Reaction score
One of the first things I'm going to do is intstall frame rail connectors. Any opinions on which to use? I'm thinking of using the US Car Tool ones which follow the contours of the floorpan, these don't require cutting your floorboards. Would like to hear from others on this subject.

Thanks!
super70bird

I used plain old 2x2 steel tubing and liked how it worked out. They came through the floor about 1/4" high and probably 6"-8" long. With the carpet down, you don't even know they're there. I think that the steel cost me about $20. Not a big fan of the ones you are thinking about using. Square steel tubing has got to be , what, 10 times stronger in torsional rigidity than a stamped u shaped channel? The reason for the connectors is strength, not ease of installation, even though mine were probably lots easier to install the us car tool ones. lots of grinding and welding and fitting to do there. Why do extra work for a questionable result?

I put the MP style connectors on the Duster. They went from
the front frame to the rear spring mounts. Welded in just fine.
Got them from Mancini. I would use them again. Fit tight up to
the floor and don't hang down far.

I was thinking of using the ones that are contoured to the flor as well.... So ur sayin that these are not as strong vs sq tube?

JAson

I have purchased a set that are contoured to fit under the floor boards. They're made of heavy guage 2X3 tubing, made by Chassis Engineering. They are the weld in type.

The ones that contour to the floorpan add a significantly higher level of rigidity to the unibody. With the connector tied to the floor, you are using the entire floor plane as a stucture.

Are the standard style connectors better than nothing, yes. Better than the contoured ones, no. Can't really go wrong with anything that help rigidity of the unibody.

I built some out of 2x3 .125 tube. I have a set of US car tools for a Duster as well. If you don't want to cut your floorpans, the 2x3 tube route is not for you.

magnumforce tubular ones tig welded into place. they are right/left specific and went in nicely.

-
Back