Which fuel pump?

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I had originally planned on reusing the stock fuel pump that came with my 440 motor out of a new yorker. But now I'm having second thoughts. I'd hate to drop $200 on a new fuel pump if I'm not going to notice any differience. Should I run the pump thats on it now, buy a new $40 cheapo one, or buy a performance mechanical or electronic pump? Another question. How much horsepower does the mechanical fuel pump eat up? I'd prefer to stay mechanical to keep things simple but if electrical is worth the hassle I'll do it.

any mods done to the 440 or is it stock?

If its stock I'd probably just stick with the one you've got or if anything just buy a new one depending on how old yours is since theyre not that expensive.

If you upgrade to an electric or to a performance one you'd definitely want to consider running a pressure regulator depending on the psi output of the new pump.

Also with going to an electric you'll have to worry about running wires, some minor replumbing of fuel lines, possible noisyness, alternator output etc...

The most important thing of installing a new electric pump is making sure that your gas tank is clean and rust free as well as changing your fuel filter and sending unit strainer. Electric pumps are very susceptible to any kind of contamination in your tank, even the stuff that isn't really visible (stuff that will get past the strainer). The gas flows through the actual motor inside the pump so any kind of debris can damage it causing it to fail or become very noisy. Mechanical pumps are not as susceptible and a lot more forgiving.

But I'm not against electric pumps by any means, they do have a lot of benefits as well, you just have to make sure they're put in a clean environment.

-
Back