Which fuel?

-

Dragonbat13

Reaction score
What type of fuel is easiest to store that gives the ability to make more power over 93 octane?

I'm just wondering if it's really any better storing a 55 gallon drum of something like methanol over just ordinary street fuel.

A street legalish, car that may get 60 miles on the street during one outing.

Where I live it would have to be stored to be able to use. If I'm going to the track it would be trailered. But while there it would go for short rolls around town.

Sonoco and VP both say their fuel will last a couple years in sealed barrels.
5FA3E4C7-B9C8-4D8B-873C-CB7894321951.png

100 LL av gas lasts 1 year. But that one year is a flight safety thing and it is half the price of sonoco.

With the sonoco and vp you can buy 5 gallon pails, just buy what you need and get more when you need it.

buy 5 gallon pails,
Yeah, My next door neighbor runs a Duster in F/SA. That's what he does. That way the unopened containers last longer.
Lake Charles. Many boat docks have ethanol free pumps with 93 octane. Maybe check into there.

100 LL av gas lasts 1 year. But that one year is a flight safety thing and it is half the price of sonoco.
And it’s formulated for high altitude use and air cooled engines. Do you drive your car at 5 thousand feet?

Yeah, My next door neighbor runs a Duster in F/SA. That's what he does. That way the unopened containers last longer.
Lake Charles. Many boat docks have ethanol free pumps with 93 octane. Maybe check into there.

It really depends on how high an octane rating your engine requires. Do you know what your dynamic compression ratio is? 93 boat gas and a can of torco octane booster works well to a point. So does mixing it with race gas, but it’s definitely not race gas.

E85 in a specific built engine is an economical way to race.

93 ethanol free is everywhere. My truck runs on it. It's at Walmart.

I was just wondering about it. The storage life of race fuels. May not be worth the hassle.

There's also two airports I could get an gas at. I'm actually 45 minutes north of lake Charles.

Any of the leaded racing fuels will last a long time.

And it’s formulated for high altitude use and air cooled engines. Do you drive your car at 5 thousand feet?
Nope, I don't drive my car at 5000 feet.
1000ft and this is worth mentioning AV gas was 20 hp higher than 110 sonoco on recent Dyno testing and 30 HP less from the day before, ALSO....it is 1/2 the cost of sonoco 110.
ALSO almost all race fuels are based off of AV gas.
If the op only requires 93 then 100LL is plenty.

Last edited:
Oh and by the way my 470 is 12.85:1 compression, 684 HP and 660 ft lbs and just for ***** and giggles 9.7 dynamic compression, 245-250 cranking psi...
AV GAS WORKS

I have a 500 gallon tank of AV100LL on the property and have for 28 years. I've had years where I haven't used it all up in 3 years with ZERO issues and this is in a vented to air tank. Formulated for high altitude.. LOL, can't remember the last time I was higher than 2500 ASL.
beeswingercruisemay162021 045.JPG

I have a 500 gallon tank of AV100LL on the property and have for 28 years. I've had years where I haven't used it all up in 3 years with ZERO issues and this is in a vented to air tank. Formulated for high altitude.. LOL, can't remember the last time I was higher than 2500 ASL.
View attachment 1716154300
Boy I need to get a tank like that. Awesome!!!

Nope, I don't drive my car at 5000 feet.
1000ft and this is worth mentioning AV gas was 20 hp higher than 110 sonoco on recent Dyno testing, ALSO....it is 1/2 the cost of sonoco 110.
ALSO almost all race fuels are based off of AV gas.
If the op only requires 93 then 100LL is plenty.
Please post a link to the dyno testing.

Gee thanks, I’ll get right on that hunting that down.
It's in the racers forum. It's on the most recent page. In the thread the last few pages have dyno tuning. Enjoy

Gee thanks, I’ll get right on that hunting that down.
Here, I'm a nice guy . You can see 650 is 110 sonoco although you'll have to take me on my word. And 672 after we drained the fuel cell and my engine didn't like the timing I had to get that 650 from 110.

IMG_20231011_114220481_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231008_155150511_HDR.jpg

And the 682 is more like it when just on av gas.
Then lastly is observed and corrected HP.
IMG_20231009_085135044_HDR.jpg

Jeez and not to mention we tuned an additional 83 HP from the first pull of 601 lol.

-
Back