Which guage or both ?

-
While you can't add a factory style external shunt to a stock ammeter, there are a couple of other alternatives to voltmeter conversions. Running the alternator current through the firewall and the dash and the ammeter is only a bad thing if the components aren't designed to take it (although that is the case if you've combined a mammoth alternator upgrade with an otherwise stock setup). While an external shunt is hard to pull off with a stock ammeter, there are a couple of examples out there of how to do this. They're usually active devices that let you run a certain amount of current through the ammeter but bleed off any excess current straight to the battery. And there's a couple of ways to get a beefier-than-stock ammeter in there, too.

Me, I'm going to be sending my ammeter to R/T Engineering to convert to a volt meter. I'm running a 100 amp alternator and EFI, and a shunt that would handle that much current just seems like too much work on top of all the other rewiring. But there won't be any getting around running it through the firewall - the battery's in the trunk.

-
Back