Which Heads?

-

charger426

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with ProMaxx Performance and their alum head for BB Mopars? Looking doing a low buck BB for my dart and at around $1100 for a pair of alum heads sounds like a good deal to me. I’ve been doing some research and from what I’ve gathered ProMaxx use to be known as Patriot Performance and is located in AL. I’m not planning on doing my build until later in the year so waiting for the TrickFlow heads to come out wouldn’t be that big of a deal. The biggest difference is the price, looks like the ProMaxx heads will be $900 cheaper than the TF heads. This is going to be a street motor, something to go out drive and have fun with. Any suggestions?

http://www.jegs.com/i/ProMaxx-Performance/723/9440/10002/-1?parentProductId=2947797

I'm pretty sure it's been said on here at least a couple times, any aftermarket head, no matter how good they're advertised to be, should be at least checked out by a trusted machinist to check for spring installed heights and pressures, check and church up the valve job if needed, same for the guide clearance, and checked for straightness. I've lost count of the threads I've read on here about people buying heads and bolting them straight on only to take them off within 5-10K miles because the guides are worn out and burning oil, or compression isn't consistent across the board, etc.

Then again, many people never those issues, for them, I'm genuinely happy...what I glean out of their experience is that it only hurts the pocketbook or your schedule once if you bring them to your machinist for a checkup and clean bill of health--even if they are good to go OOTB...if you don't, it can hurt your account worse having to pour more money into buying valves, springs, hardware, etc because something wasn't assembled right the first time around.

also what rocco said...IQ is a busy guy, but he knows heads...

The biggest difference is the price, looks like the ProMaxx heads will be $900 cheaper than the TF heads.
No, the biggest difference (and thus the price) is that the TF heads are fully CNC ported out of the box.

Helloooo.....McFly.....Anybody in there???

I'm pretty sure it's been said on here at least a couple times, any aftermarket head, no matter how good they're advertised to be, should be at least checked out by a trusted machinist to check for spring installed heights and pressures, check and church up the valve job if needed, same for the guide clearance, and checked for straightness. I've lost count of the threads I've read on here about people buying heads and bolting them straight on only to take them off within 5-10K miles because the guides are worn out and burning oil, or compression isn't consistent across the board, etc.

Then again, many people never those issues, for them, I'm genuinely happy...what I glean out of their experience is that it only hurts the pocketbook or your schedule once if you bring them to your machinist for a checkup and clean bill of health--even if they are good to go OOTB...if you don't, it can hurt your account worse having to pour more money into buying valves, springs, hardware, etc because something wasn't assembled right the first time around.

also what rocco said...IQ is a busy guy, but he knows heads...

I know my dad had great luck with his 440 and OOTB Eddie RPM heads. He picked them up right after they came out...when an "affordable" alum first came out. This isn't going to be a race motor so getting every last HP out of it really isn't that big of a deal. Just want the best bang for the buck. Hopefully IQ can chime in or anyone with experience with these ProMaxx heads.

No, the biggest difference (and thus the price) is that the TF heads are fully CNC ported out of the box.

Helloooo.....McFly.....Anybody in there???

Helllloooooo not looking for the OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST HEAD EVVEEEEER....at least not for my motor :D . But yeah I yeah I get the trickflows are CNCed OOTB and thats why they are 2k and have had their release date pushed back about 3 times now. Regardless money is an object in my world and since I'm not racing for money here if the extra $1k doesn't change the car I rather spend it some where else.....regards...McFly

I personally won't run any aftermarket head OOTB. If you can buy them bare, do it. Have a good valve job put on them, and don't skimp on valve train. Make sure you check everything during assembly, and you're golden. I don't care what head you buy, that should be common practice. You can always port them when your budget allows, if you're not doing it yourself.

Helllloooooo not looking for the OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST HEAD EVVEEEEER....at least not for my motor :D . But yeah I yeah I get the trickflows are CNCed OOTB and thats why they are 2k and have had their release date pushed back about 3 times now. Regardless money is an object in my world and since I'm not racing for money here if the extra $1k doesn't change the car I rather spend it some where else.....regards...McFly

I agree. The same difference as regular Stealths (brand new pair in the box here) and CNC Stealths......Except the flow numbers on the CNC Stealths don't hold a candle to the TF's.

That said, yeah, the Jegs heads or the regular Stealths are a great deal compared to anything but those CNC wonders. No disagreement from me. I just couldn't resist LOL.

You can always port them when your budget allows, if you're not doing it yourself.
Modern Cylinder Head in Clinton Twp MI has the CNC program for the Stealths so you could always
send them there for porting later if desired.

One thing about the ProMaxx heads, given the history of Patriot Performance I would assume that these heads are CNC'ed. Patriot Performance was known for their CNCed heads for fords and chevys so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for these. I do have an email in with ProMaxx asking for some more details as the heads in question aren't even on their site.

Jegs site says that they use the following features to produce CNC (like) flow numbers

They look nice. Looks like we might benefit from a price war on aluminum cylinder heads.

Can't wait till IQ and MRL get ahold of some of the new offerings!

•A356-T6 Aluminum
•Hand bowl blending
•Efficient chamber design
•Available bare or assembled
•5-angle competition valve job
•Diamond-honed bronze guides
•"MAXX" power for street or strip
•Sold in pairs
•Assembled in the USA

Sure, they'll be interesting to test.

The TrickFlow heads have been delayed. This, in my experience, means they don't flow as advertised when put into production. In the mean time the Stealth and RPM heads can still be made to flow 340+ cfm. I'm way behind on everything around here to also worry about "what if's", "maybe's" and "reported to flow".

Yeah I'm still waiting to hear back from ProMaxx about these heads. I also have an email into a machinist that frequents MoParts asking what his price is for a set of ProMaxx heads that he's gone through and done some clean up work on. From the sounds of his postings on MoParts he loves the heads and get them to flow 320 on the intake and 280ish on the exhaust with very little work. Will update when I hear something.

I'll be patient and wait to see what they all do. I don't HAVE to have a new set until next
summer. If hand finishing can get 320/280ish numbers then the CNC numbers from TF are
within reason. Like to hear more on the Pro-Max heads too.

The ProMaxx heads and TrickFlow heads are different castings. According to TrickFlow they designed a new casting from the ground up to help them get their clammed numbers. But like you I'm not looking to buy heads today so I have time to wait and hear what they both have to say.

hi, I purchased a set of promaxx 440 heads. I have not yet installed them but they are nicely made heads. I will post some pics, chris

hi, I purchased a set of promaxx 440 heads. I have not yet installed them but they are nicely made heads. I will post some pics, chris

$350 fully assembled p/pc, or if you buy enough like Jegs do $180p/c or perhaps less, was thinking of buying some myself from China for retail but not set up for the quality control.
or $395 bare for a pair...............

I just ordered sidewinder heads from Marshperformance. He set's them up to match your cam

I know it's an old post. Buy I bought the promaxx heads. Hand blended bowls. Checked the installed heights. These heads I would say can be run out of the box. But I needed to open mine to max wedge for my intake.

-
Back