Which Intake Manifold?

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Which intake manifold is better for a small block Mopar. Mine is a 1974 318. A couple people have recomended the Edlebrock Performer. But what about a Holley Street Dominator? Which would be better. Just wanted to get second opinions. Thanks

if you're only changing the intake then the performer is your way to go. if you're also changing a cam, convertor, headers, and gears, then go with the street dominator.

They both have small ports and thats the biggie. Offy is the only other one I know of that has small port manifolds brand new. Summit has them but some are special order. I have a Offy high rise equal flow single plane thats good from idle to 6500 they claim. I like it, it gave my 318 motor a smoother idle over that perfomer manifold and seems just fine down at low speeds and great after 4000 rpms. I do have 3.91's gears. All of Offy manifolds come in big ports for 340-360 and small ports for 273-318. They even still make the 1965 273 intake with the small 5/16 intake bolts

You might look into Mopars M-1 intake - I have one on my motor and my brother-in-law runs one on his small block also. Both of us are pleased with the results. Mopar has spent alot of research and development on what works with there engines. :-k

The M1 dual plane is just a aluminum version of the cast iron 340 intake. You will see no gains other then less weight over a stock 4bbl intake. The M1 single plane would be way to much for most 318s. I would use the performer if the rest of the motor is stock.

I would not count on Mopar now of days to make our old motors run better. Maybe some of their racing stuff like engine blocks are good but I do not "trust" them. Go with Eddy, Holley or Offy. Yes for a mostly stock motor Eddy might be the best.

-
Back