Which intake manifold?

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Putting a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, XE256H Comp camshaft on a '73 318 engine. Which intake manifold is gonna work better, an Edelbrock Performer or a Weiand Stealth? Going for drag race kinda power

I like the Weiand Action Plus.

Not real sure what drag rAce power is but go with a edlebrock performer rpm air gap with a bigger carb.

Im looking for more low and mid range power to get my car off the line and I would have to port match an RPM and I don't have the tools/knowledge to do so.

I'll just add, the Edelbrock SP-2P. Not available new, but if you see a decent one used, it's a decent manifold with your cam choice and highway type gears for torque. It will make power to about 5000 rpm's. The ports look small, but it's a very well designed intake. I have one i'm holding onto incase a situation like yours comes my way. With that said, the Perfomer is probably the easiest to come by for a good price.

Pretty much the best manifold for small block street 'n' strip applications is the Edelbrock RPM Airgap, but the ports are 340/360 size and so they won't be a good match with your 318 heads. Naturally you can go to a later head (302 or magnum) but it means more parts to buy and work.

If it was a choice between the base Performer manifold and the Weiand 8007 I'd go the 8007.

If you want the most you can get out of your combo change the heads to 302 castings or go the magnum conversion and buy an RPM Airgap. The intake swap will give a smallish horsepower gain but better flowing heads are always worth it.

Here's an example based on RL experience
On a small GM engine (3.8 V6) I built once I logged every change with chassis dyno work and backed it up with drag strip times. I would run the car on the strip regardless of whether it showed any difference on the dyno just to check my results. Well we did the heads on that little motor. It wasn't a massive amount of work, just a street port job, and we even used the factory valves. On the dyno the heads showed little outright gain and we were disappointed but we failed to notice the low end of the graph where the torque bulked up signifigantly. At the track we didn't expect to see much of a change but we gained a massive 4-tenths on the quarter, just from the head change. It was the biggest gain we ever made from that engine at the track (apart from bolting a turbo to it later).

Sorry to be so long winded but I just wanted to point out that head flow makes a massive difference even with small cube naturally aspirated engines. So if you want to see big changes then I reckon you should do the head swap as well.

Personally I'm about to do a 318 myself. Unfortunately I won't be able to do everything like I did with the little GM motor (logging every change) because I don't have access to a dyno and close strip like I used to have. But I'm going to go for Magnum heads, Airgap intake, a cam in the 235-240 @ .050 range with around 0.510in lift on a zero deck 318 block. If it makes 350hp I'll be very happy and it should give me a solid 12sec combo with the right converter and gears.

I'll just add, the Edelbrock SP-2P. Not available new, but if you see a decent one used, it's a decent manifold with your cam choice and highway type gears for torque. It will make power to about 5000 rpm's. The ports look small, but it's a very well designed intake. I have one i'm holding onto incase a situation like yours comes my way. With that said, the Perfomer is probably the easiest to come by for a good price.
I agree with you-I had one on here for sale sp2p no interest so I put it on a 77 Shortbed 360 and I am impressed. Now I am looking for another one.not a high rpm but it whips out the throttle response

I believe the stealth is an 8022, the action plus is 8007

You could run either and likely not see much difference. The performer 318/360 works really well with a 1" open spacer on them.

I believe the stealth is an 8022, the action plus is 8007

You could run either and likely not see much difference. The performer 318/360 works really well with a 1" open spacer on them.

Correct, there's little difference in appearance between them except the 8007 accepts square & spreadbore where the 8022 appears to be squarebore carb only.

Weiand claims idle to 6000rpm for the 8007, and idle to 6800rpm for the 8022, but I agree that there's going to be little difference on a small cam 318.

After reading an article on here a guy posted about building up a 318, I am going with the Stealth. Thanks for the help everyone!

-
Back