which intake should i use?

-
so i'm installing a new big mutha thumpr in my 360 with worked 302 heads, 727/3000 stall,355s, 72 demon,yes i know it may be a tad too big of a cam, don't care. i have 4 intakes at my disposal, edelbrock streetmaster, ld4b, rpm air gap,holley street dominator with a hvh super sucker 1'' 4 hole spacer, any thoughts on best route to go? i know the streetmaster is out of the question

Valve size and runner volume may be something to take a look at with that 360. Or do you plan to use those heads on that displacement for a towing rig?

You may want to consider selling those heads to a stock stroke 318 or 273 builder, put the cash towards something that will compliment your displacement and cam choice.

I thought the 302 heads had the smaller (318) ports , and the 308 castings were the larger ports (340-360)???

My new and improved tape memory banks are telling me 1.78".

upload_2022-8-31_18-4-42.png

Actually the big mutha thumper cam has a 107° lobe separation! Cam is big like the 292 mopar cam I have in my 360. Should sound really nice. I would use it. It can make good power.

i'm not looking to build a killer combo, like i said, i don't care , just playing around. i get bored very easy and like to change things up, once again, thanks for the input. next plan is to build a 408 with 308s or xheads, with this cam already broken in. Please don't recommend aluminum heads , i'm in my 60s, i'll do it old school.

I am in my 60’s and aluminum heads have been around since the Jurassic era.
Why somebody would want to use something that will create a bottleneck to making good power is beyond me.
If you truly want to have fun, get a good set of heads and an 8 inch convertor. They will be enough to allow for mistakes with everything else

will not sell 302 heads, theyve been professionally done with bigger valves, just playing around, not too concerned with et at this time, i spent 600 on a bullet custom grind, what a joke. the sd is already port matched to heads and does surprisingly well, air gap produced the most power with the 284/484 i had though. ihave a set of 308s that will hit the shop this winter. also have access to rebuilt xheads for 1000,not sure though, thanks for the input

upload_2022-8-31_18-11-4.png

upload_2022-8-31_18-7-57.png

i'm not looking to build a killer combo, like i said, i don't care , just playing around. i get bored very easy and like to change things up, once again, thanks for the input. next plan is to build a 408 with 308s or xheads, with this cam already broken in. Please don't recommend aluminum heads , i'm in my 60s, i'll do it old school.

Ok, here you go. I couldn't find a post your 17 second combo thread. Maybe you could start one.

Post your 13 sec combos

I agree about more converter. That cam will BARELY be into its torque curve at 3K. I'd go 4200 if it was me. You can cruise around town all day long on a modern 4200 locking up at 1500 but scream when you pull it up and launch against the converter. That's what it's gonna need. Consider this. The stock 340 high stall converter was around 2500-2750. 3000 is barely more than a stock 340. That Thumpr cam is HUGE in comparison.

a 360 trying to breathe through those heads would be done by 5K, my guess.

Not my experience. Mine had no problem going over 6K even with a 1.84 valve. He has a cam with a good amount of both seat and @ 50 duration so that will help fill the cylinder.

The small port will help with the narrow LSA of the cam in regards to reversion.

Not my experience. Mine had no problem going over 6K even with a 1.84 valve. He has a cam with a good amount of both seat and @ 50 duration so that will help fill the cylinder.

The small port will help with the narrow LSA of the cam in regards to reversion.

agree with that. Vic Bloomer has run his stock stroke 340 8500-8800 with 1.88 valve iron heads, and it runs 9’s.

If you must stay with iron, use 974 360 iron heads with 11/32 or 5/16 stem 1.94 or 2.02 / 160 valves. Very good flow numbers for iron heads.

If you're dead set on the 302 heads, use the best intake for that port size. I believe that will be the Street Dominator. Measure to be sure.

Any port and chamber work on those 302 heads? And IIRC, wasn't this going in a truck project?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what went wrong with the bullet cam ?
They make great cams that make great power.
bullet cam was a power maker, live in canada, and by the end of the purchase process(they sent a bb cam to begin with) i ended up paying 600 cdn dollars,400 usd, for a hyd flat tappet cam, no lifters, that didnt perform much differerent than the purpleshaft i had in it

If you're dead set on the 302 heads, use the best intake for that port size. I believe that will be the Street Dominator. Measure to be sure.
already port matched,i will start with this one, ive been trying to sell the other intakes, no takers yet

I spent a LOT of time discussing and designing my cam with Ultradyne. It is very specific to my car /engine combo and how i intend on using it. HP was never mentioned.
I paid less than $400 with their lifters but it was about 3 years ago and the price of everything has for some reason doubled recently? .Hope i have better luck than you did.

ol 302 heads get hated on so much on here it ant funny,....then ya add the big mutha thumper witch is the most hated cam on the enterweb!!,...gotta buy new aluminum heads and a air gap or might as well stay home on the porch!! only way this thread could be hated on more is if ya was building a 318....DWB

-
Back