which lifters to get?

-

Lomax

Reaction score
It will be a good long while before my other engine is ready and I very much miss driving my car. It currently has a collapsed lifter. Motor is a 318 out of an early-mid 80's big body car (not sure which one). Motor was rebuilt not too long back, basically stock with the exceptions of: crane .480 lift cam, Edelbrock intake, headers and carb. Nothing really fancy. The heads to have double spring valves on them which I think between the cam and that caused the lifter to fail. Either way, I know that stock will not be good enough. What should I look into?
-Will

dirt in the lifter maybe?
pull it, clean it, and give it another try, unless you're saying the cam has a bad lobe..

pioneer lifters
Mopar lifters
many brand names stamped on them.

I havent gone all the way down but from what i can tell, its a lifter. Im not going to go to the trouble of trying to clean it. I'll just replace them and the pushrods to make sure that I dont have to go through this again on the hope that cleaning it works
-Will

I would be very surprised if the cam or springs caused the lifter to collapse. It may have been a defective lifter to start with or maybe the pre-load was to much. Hopefully it was not a wiped cam lobe. You don't have to replace them all, just the one that collapsed. Check your pre-loads when you reassemble the valve train. You may have to shim the rocker shafts if the pre-load is to much.

Jack

I have been running Rhoades variable duration lifters for years and swear by them. They bleed down at idle and "pump up" by 3500 rpm. This takes about .025 lift and 15° duration at idle, then you get full lift and duration by 3500 rpm. They give more low end and mid range torque and power than regular lifters. They work great and Rhoades stands behind them. I got one many years back that had a small pit on the side. I called them and told them about it, and they sent me a replacement on my word and did not even want me to send the "bad" one back. They also machined a set for my dad's Hemi when we built that also.

-
Back