which locker to use

-

dazedduster

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rebuild a 8 3/4 for my duster. it is an open diff now and i would like to add a locker. What do you guys think i should use, i want something tuff that works well as i seem to be hard on rear ends.

Thanks for the help (again)

Ive used a Detroit locker pumpkin from Randy's R&P for the past 7 years in my 72 Duster, works great for my application.

I'm not sure who's calling what anymore, but I'd recommend the clutch type (limited slip-posi-detroit locker-sure grip) over the cone type anyday.

Hold it, It's Sure Grip afterall.

Terry

Good point Dazed, I just assumed he was specifying Locker, he could of been using that as a generic term for posi, limited slip, etc., etc. as you pointed out.
There are drawbacks to the locker on the street. My Detroit Locker is great on the street as long as you wait to finish the turn before you nail the throttle, I hear they are trickey in the rain also( it doesnt do that here much). Mine does not exibit the ratcheting noise that ive heard people refer to. For what I was doing , I didnt want a spool, and a suregrip (especially the 489 cone type) wouldnt live long with slicks and 100 passes a year.

-
Back