which oil should i be running?

-

hdfattboy2001

Never Enough Cars!
Reaction score
HEy guys, what do you recommend for oil in a Magnum 360 (Roller Motor)?

Thanks, Brad

On a roller cam, anything works. Even canola. As long as it wasn't used to fry cod. Don't reuse for french fries like DQ does. Smells funny.

10w30 if it's a recent rebuild. 10w40 if it sees towing, high heat, low speeds, higher milage. Synthetic oil does a better job at keeping viscosity consistant between cold and warm temps. It also finds leaks easier, but if the engine has a nice seal, you shouldn't worry. You don't have to worry about zinc like folks running flat tappet.

im running 10w-30 now, should i be real concerned about 30psi on the gauge at cruising speeds once it gets hot? The motor was fresh last year, runs great no knocking or anything just seems a little low on the pressure gauge to me.

Canola, sunflower, peanut or possibly use the search for this beaten to death subject....The argument will start over what viscosity, synthetic or dinosaur, zinc after break in.........

10 psi per 1000rpm is the formula needed. You don't need more than that. Higher viscosity helps cushion loose tolerances for things that need it, like diesel crank journals and high heat turbochargers that beat the viscosity down to water. Lower oil pressure numbers help lower temp because they increase flow, which helps cool the part.

You should be ok. A lot of people bank way too hard on high oil pressure = good oiling.

Mine say's 710 :)

Actually it says Edelbrock.

Castrol GTX 10-40 is my preferred oil.

I run valvoline synpower 10w30, altho i have been thinking about trying the amsoil signature series 10w-30 for quite some time now, Just dont know that the amsoil is that much better then the valvoline to compensate for the much higher cost. And i dont run extremely long drain intervals, i change my oil and filter every 6 months regardless of how many miles i have put on the engine, but normally its in the 5 to 7 thousand mile range in 6 months.

Wesson. It's on the baking isle in your nearest supermarket.

It says what viscosity it runs right on the oil cap, 5-30.

Where do I get F E?

AGIP-INTRODUCE-HELLO-KITTY-ENGINE-OIL-FOR-JDM-KEICAR-ENTHUSIAST-3-350x400.jpg

Yes this has been beaten to death, but I run Rotella T6 5w-40 in my 360 magnum. I have several reasons I run it, but the big ones are:

- It's a heavy duty full synthetic that still contains a fair amount of zinc (1200 ppm tested), and is intended for applications that would cook a normal oil. That may be a little overkill, bit I don't see it as a bad thing.

- I like the viscosity range. It gives me good hot oil pressure, and being a 5w when cold it may get to critical parts faster at start-up. I don't know if that really makes a difference, but I like to think it does.

- And last but not least, it's cheap as far as synthetics go. I buy it at Walmart for $21.36/gal. The only downside is you need to buy 2 gallons to do an oil change, but I use it in every vehicle I own so I usually have several gallons on hand.

Also, to give you a reference, hot idle for my engine is 20-25 psi (~ 800 rpm), and hwy cruise (~2250 and up) is 60 psi. This is with a standard volume pump. I also had low pressures when running 10w-30, but 30 psi does seem low to me. What rpm is that?

Thank you,UOP..... Was running Delo 15/40,new pump. 45 at idle.(800-1000). Love the info,on the zddp.

Rotella and Delo are both quality, you can't go wrong with either.

Is that with a new engine with a standard volume pump? Mine is just a freshened up 150k mile junkyard motor.

Yes this has been beaten to death, but I run Rotella T6 5w-40 in my 360 magnum. I have several reasons I run it, but the big ones are:

- It's a heavy duty full synthetic that still contains a fair amount of zinc (1200 ppm tested), and is intended for applications that would cook a normal oil. That may be a little overkill, bit I don't see it as a bad thing.

- I like the viscosity range. It gives me good hot oil pressure, and being a 5w when cold it may get to critical parts faster at start-up. I don't know if that really makes a difference, but I like to think it does.

- And last but not least, it's cheap as far as synthetics go. I buy it at Walmart for $21.36/gal. The only downside is you need to buy 2 gallons to do an oil change, but I use it in every vehicle I own so I usually have several gallons on hand.

Also, to give you a reference, hot idle for my engine is 20-25 psi (~ 800 rpm), and hwy cruise (~2250 and up) is 60 psi. This is with a standard volume pump. I also had low pressures when running 10w-30, but 30 psi does seem low to me. What rpm is that?

Thats with me running around 3kRPM.So technically with the 10psi per K rule its ok, I havent really ran it much this year yet because i've had the interior ripped apart, but im going to pay better attention when i get it out in the next couple weeks.

cant see your location... you have it hidden.

if you are down south in a hot area, run 20-50 castrol. 30psi at cruisin speed is kinda low after the engine is hot. the higher weight oil should bring that up to 40 i bet.

also if you are in a real hot area i'd suggest a 180deg thermostat instead of a 195.

Is that with a new engine with a standard volume pump? Mine is just a freshened up 150k mile junkyard motor.
Uop,J.Y. mill,non high volume pump.

-
Back