Which oil?

-
That would be it, though it looks to be $5.99/qt at your local Autozone.

Imo you're overthinking it and would personally have zero issues continuing to use Rotella T.

If the wear article is correct, then the Valvoline VR1 is really good for an off the shelf product. The article also reinforces not to add additives to the oil. That's good to know.

But are there any issues with it being a race oil in a daily driver? I would surprised if there were but just checking.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Valvoline+Racing/949/VV211/10002/-1 so this would be a good choice then? And main reason I ask is in an article I was reading that racing oils aren't good for a daily driver since they don't work well with the stop and go of it. Also they get changed more frequently in their application then on a street car.

Yes that's what I would use for street, valvoline also has a " not for street use " race oil that has very low detergents, that would be for race only.

Yes that's what I would use for street, valvoline also has a " not for street use " race oil that has very low detergents, that would be for race only.

Okay cool! thats the oil everyone seems to be leaning towards. Thanks for the help everyone! But again, may be a stupid question and all, but this is fine for a daily driver?

The VR1 will have much fewer detergents conpared to the Rotella, so you may need to change the oil more often. One thing you can do to make sure is to send off a sample for a used oil analysis (UOA). If you switch to the VR1, send off the used Rotella and they will tell you if it was doing its job or not. Then once you get through your first fill of VR1, say 3000 miles, you can send that oil to be analyzed and go from there. They'll tell you exactly what's going on inside your engine. I keep a sample from every oil change, and send one off every other oil change. It's the only way to know for sure.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Samples sent may indicate lower levels of carbon in the used oil.

VR1 racing is for engines with frequent changes. The carbon will varnish your engine on a daily driver.

It doesn't have much to do with stop and go, as much as it has to do with change intervals. People beat the snot out of race oil, but it gets dumped quicker.

Samples sent may indicate lower levels of carbon in the used oil.

VR1 racing is for engines with frequent changes. The carbon will varnish your engine on a daily driver.

It doesn't have much to do with stop and go, as much as it has to do with change intervals. People beat the snot out of race oil, but it gets dumped quicker.

I hear you. In that case, how often should vr1 be drained? Or am I just better off going with brad penn or amsoil?

I went to Rotella when i started running turbos before that i ran Castrol 20/50 but in my turbo Dakota it has had the Rotella in it sense it was a new short block from the dealer it has been a street/strip ride it's got roughly 25000 miles i beleive its all in how you keep it serviced i changed oil in it about every 1500 miles though but that was because i was always in boost every time i drove it LOL!

-
Back