Which power steering pump should I get?

-

jeryst

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart GTS. Originally a 340, now a 360. Not sure what year 360.

The power steering pump, brackets, lines are all missing, and I would like to look for another setup. Problem is, I dont know whether to look for a setup for a 1968, a 340, or a 360. Or does it even matter?

Like I said, I need everything, but I dont want to buy something that wont fit or work correctly.

Well I just went through this last week. The 340 / 360 is no problem at all. If you want it bone stock that might take some doing because I beleive the pump is a Federal and that was hard to find for me. So I blew that off and said to myself "self go with the Sagianw pump". being a cheap SOB I go down to my local pick your part (my Disneyland)and roamed around for any Dodge 71 or older. Sometimes this place has some older Dodges. After roaming around and finding nothing I came accross a 1986 Chrysler 5th Ave. The hood was up and as I walked by I looked in just for kicks and noticed that it was a 318, with power steering etc. So I get to looking closer and sure enough everything except the high pressure hose were exactly what I was looking for. One good thing. So I took all the brackets, pump (Saginaw) and high pressure hose, paid the guy 30 dollars went home and put everything on and it fit perfectly. However trying to be clever and save a buck I decided to take the slide valve so I wouldn't have to buy a hose. Because the hose was the only difference in the whole setup. Thats when it happened...... You can see what happened in the topic "oh man Steering problems"

68-69 mounted the pump higher because of the lower radiator hose, 70 and up were mounted low on the motor......if you want the stock look and you have the stock radiator you probably want to stay with that setup. By the way you can find the brackets from the older 64-69 LA engine as well.

If you are interested I have the original pump and some of the brackets off my 70 Duster for sale at 25.00 + shipping I am at zip 62853 SO.Illinois steve

Duster Downs, if Jerst isnt interested in that pump I might be. Is it a federal and would it be correct for a 69 barracuda.

-
Back