Which radiator for my '73 Dart?

-

Down Shift

Reaction score
I have a '73 Dart Swinger. It was originally a 318/auto/non-AC car. My radiator is shot. It's one of the first things I need to get sorted out so I can get the car fired up and running again.

The radiator that keeps coming up in my searches is this:

ecat

The radiator in the car is NOT this one. The inlet and outlet are in the right spots, but my radiator is more narrow, about 18.5" wide. It has large mounting tabs on both sides that span the gap in the core support. I measured the hole in the core support and it is about than 23" wide. The radiator in the above link is 24 3/4" wide. It looks like the height will work.

Is this the right radiator for my car, or do I need to buy the much more expensive narrow radiator? The difference is about $200, and I really don't want to pay more for less cooling capacity. I'm hoping the wider radiator will fit!

Thanks all!

You need a v-8 radiator with a core of 22" wide x 17 1/8" height x 13/4"thick . The overall measure is : 25 3/8" wide x 21 5/8" height . The outlet is : 1 1/2" to the left of the filler cap . The inlet is : 1 3/4" on the right side . Capacity is about 2 gallons w/o heater . Maybe 1 more with heater . I had mine recored several years ago . Cost about $250 . About 10 turn around time . Hope this helps . Later Tom

I used a radiator from a 78 Dodge aspen 360 car for my 73 dart when I could not find a good low cost alternative. You have to use the lower hose from that application as well as the bottom outlet is slightly bigger and I don't recall, it's been a while but I think I had to drill on hole for the top mounting bolts. If it's not a full on restoration where you need to be original it's a good alternative.

I got one for my 73 from O Reilly auto parts for right at 200 and it's a 26 wide "Extra Cool" they call it.
Did have to drill a couple of new mounting holes in the support, but everything fit perfect as far as hoses and cooler lines.
The core itself is just a little bit wider than the opening in the support so it can use every bit of that opening for cooling.
I ordered it by vehicle make and model and the "Extra Cool" was one of the two options

I got one for my 73 from O Reilly auto parts for right at 200 and it's a 26 wide "Extra Cool" they call it.
Did have to drill a couple of new mounting holes in the support, but everything fit perfect as far as hoses and cooler lines.
The core itself is just a little bit wider than the opening in the support so it can use every bit of that opening for cooling.
I ordered it by vehicle make and model and the "Extra Cool" was one of the two options

The radiator on O'Reilly's website was basically the same one that I posted above. It's good to know that you installed it with success, I didn't want to be the guinea pig! I went ahead and ordered the same radiator, I think they are all made by Spectra. It should be here in a week or so. Plenty of other stuff to sort out while I wait for it.

The radiator on O'Reilly's website was basically the same one that I posted above. It's good to know that you installed it with success, I didn't want to be the guinea pig! I went ahead and ordered the same radiator, I think they are all made by Spectra. It should be here in a week or so. Plenty of other stuff to sort out while I wait for it.

Yep, it's Spectra.

Hi TrailBeast,
Have you found this radiator to be adequate for cooling? As this radiator seemed like a great candidate for our project (73 duster), I started reading some reviews on it yesterday and there were a couple that indicated the core was thinner than the stock radiator, and that the engine temperatures were higher than the stock radiator this replaced. Also, I read that the stock fan shroud doesn't fit. I trust your opinion, and wanted to see what you've experienced for temps and what shroud you used.

Thanks,
Travis

Hi TrailBeast,
Have you found this radiator to be adequate for cooling? As this radiator seemed like a great candidate for our project (73 duster), I started reading some reviews on it yesterday and there were a couple that indicated the core was thinner than the stock radiator, and that the engine temperatures were higher than the stock radiator this replaced. Also, I read that the stock fan shroud doesn't fit. I trust your opinion, and wanted to see what you've experienced for temps and what shroud you used.

Thanks,
Travis

I almost mentioned some of that in my original post, so here's the deal.
I don't run a shroud as I have a 2,800rpm 17" electric S blade fan on a thermostatic controller, and I would of course expect that a factory style shroud wouldn't work out very well on a 26" radiator as A body cars never came with a 26.
If it were me needing a shroud I would take some measurements including where the fan runs in relation to the radiator position then go to the wrecking yard and find one that I would feel comfortable modding if needed.

As far as the cooling ability of the radiator on 80-100 degree days it will stay in the 195-210 range with a 195 stat even in stop and go traffic in town.
It does tend more towards 210 on hot days but the fan seems to keep it right in that range.
I recently took it over to Laughlin NV in the evening when it was still about 104 and it got up around 220 with three people in the car and climbing those big hills coming out of the valley.
I will also say it has never overheated where there was a coolant loss.

The Motor build is rated for a little over 400hp but I expect since I'm running a dual plane Edelbrock intake and an Edlebrock 600cfm that I am somewhere in the neighborhood of 350hp.

Anything with more power or a big block I would have to recommend something better.

-
Back