Which rockers to use??!!

-

HemiDave

Reaction score
I've got a 408 stroker, Eddy heads, Comp Cams XE274H cam. I was planning to use the 273 rockers but a few have told me not to use those. So I looked at the Mancini Proforms...same thing..don't use them!! Any rockers that are less that $500 that will work on a fairly mild 408!!?? This is nuts!

Dave

Comp Cams, I think they are the nicest for a street motor.

ebay has lots of them for 160 - 250 bucks also will the eddy heads take the small block chebbie roller rockers?

I ran 273 rockers on a low 12 sec 340 for many years. Repeated trips to 7000 rpm's with a solid cam with no failures. Just had to trash the original adjusters for a good set with lock nuts and grind a slight relief for retainer clearance. I still have this set of rockers and am going to use them on my 69 340s 4-speed car. Yes there are better rockers to be had but the 273's worked well and are very durable. But then again I'm on the frugal side, if I have it I will use it instead of buying new. I use ductil iron rockers on the big block in my race car also.

moparracer said:
I ran 273 rockers on a low 12 sec 340 for many years. Repeated trips to 7000 rpm's with a solid cam with no failures. Just had to trash the original adjusters for a good set with lock nuts and grind a slight relief for retainer clearance. I still have this set of rockers and am going to use them on my 69 340s 4-speed car. Yes there are better rockers to be had but the 273's worked well and are very durable. But then again I'm on the frugal side, if I have it I will use it instead of buying new. I use ductil iron rockers on the big block in my race car also.

That's IT!! I'm using what I've already got! If they break, they break. I'm using the standard pushrods, too! So THERE!! ; )

thanks y'all!

Dave

Check out PVT. I've heard really good stuff about them, but they're a little on the pricey side.

http://www.precisionvalvetrain.com/index.htm

You could go with the Crane Gold rockers and change the adjuster nuts to the Smith Brother's ones. I've had bad luck with the Crane adjusters, but the Smith ones are supposed to be almost indistructable.

If you have the 273 rockers may as well use them for now. Add some smith brother adjusters to them though.

HemiDave said:
That's IT!! I'm using what I've already got! If they break, they break. I'm using the standard pushrods, too! So THERE!! ; )

thanks y'all!

Dave
:salut: LOL they're not going to break, but have fun trying.

i have a set of crane roller rockers with harden sahafts that i have listed in the parts for sale. not sure if they are 1.5 or 1.6 i can check. i ran them for a couple years mostly street use with some drag use, if interested PM me. i had them on a 360 with 340x heads with huges hyd. cam they worked fine, even fit in stock 273 hypo valve covers.

I also used the 273 adjustable rockers on my 340 Dart 4-speed car that ran 11.90's back in the early 80's. Like was said.......use them they will be fine. My son also uses Crane iron adjutable rockers on his 400 in his Dart and they work fine. And the price was right as we got them for free since we did my buddy a favor ! Ron

-
Back