which sander straight line?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
looing to buy either an 8" or an 11" hutchins straight line sander. Can't get both. Toooo much money. Which would give me the best shot at getting the sides of my Demon flat and straight? Any recommendations on this topic would be helpful? Trying to save on hand sanding/carving. I have disc sanders and a 16" straight line cheapo which I hate because it is so noisey? Thought a good Hutchins would be better???

I like the 11" Hutchins Hustler. I board to rough in, though, and hand sand for final. I've worked with guys who could use the board to final sand, but I was never able to get the feel for it.

Cheese grater to rough contour, then foamglass (fartblock), then either the long or short curved hand blocks to prep for primer, spray the primer, then dust with rattlecan, then use block again, wetsanding with light touch to find high and low spots. Fix those high and low spots with elbow grease, NOT pressing hard but repetition.

If you're asking about the sander to remove paint, skipit. Aircraft stripper and a scraper, then DA clean up using appropriate grit depending on whether you are on metal or trying to remove some yahoo's crappy bondo work.

Use hammer and dolly to get the sheetmetal back as close as possible to contours if you aren't replacing panels. Keep in mind how much your time is worth and consider replacing with new sheetmetal (or fiberglass) like from AMD or AAR fiberglass. Patch the damn rust, don't bondo or glass over it.

I hope that helps.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Don't work the metal too much if you can help it, you run the risk of getting it thin and hard from working it.

You could also invest that money into an assortment of Durablocks of different lengths (and shapes, as mentioned). Hand sanding is not too bad if you choose the right grit paper at the right stage of finishing. Using a paper that is too fine early on will create more work and simply 'polish' your bodywork instead of cutting it flat. Change your paper often, too.

Buy 16" have had a IR one since the early 90's, alot of hrs on it and it still works fine.
You mentioned noise, all are noisy wear ear plugs.
Also get a Hutcheson 16" hand sander and a 3M sanding block, that is all you will need to get it straight.

jhMjoi.jpg

Here is the air file and hand sander.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_28119_28119

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hmg-5501/overview/

-
Back