Which SS springs?

-

MTmopars

Reaction score
I have a 1968 barracuda notch that has the HD springs but they are stock and sagging. Originally a 318/auto car, it will be getting a 440/auto. Which springs should I get to replace on a full body and interior car? I was guessing the 3400lb springs but figured I'd ask.

The 3400 pound spring is really considered a B body spring. Although all of the SS springs are A body style. In other words, they all have the 20" front segment like an A body. IMO the 3400 pound spring is going to be way too much spring. I think the 002 and 003 springs will be more than enough, if you just have to have the SS spring.

I'm running 002/003 springs on my '70 dart. The stance is perfect and ride quality is great. The farthest I've driven so far is 400 miles in one day, and I was plenty comfortable ...

If you use the 002/003 springs your car will likely sit higher on the right rear. This is the way they were designed. You can use two of the same springs, like two 002 springs to make it sit level from right to left from the rear.

when i had the 002 and 003 springs on my car it sat like a monster truck. and it made it steer funny too. heres a pic with them . keep in mind those are pretty tall tires too, but when i put on a set of regular heavy duty springs it still came down like 1.5 inches on the high side
285600_2265669737253_1430108512_n.jpg

I'm not looking for stock ride height. Looking for a spring that will give the right stance and put the power to the ground at the same time.

I'm not looking for stock ride height. Looking for a spring that will give the right stance and put the power to the ground at the same time.

XHDs will do that and be less harsh for regular street use.
XHDs can be ordered with +1", +2" (or +whatever) over stock .

Just a suggestion.

the springs on my duster now are 3600's and they work better for me than the 002 003 springs did. sits nice and level, which helps the steering it seems. the 002 003 springs were too stiff for my car. im running mid 11's and my car is 95% driven on the street. the 3600s are for sure what i would recommend
if it makes any difference my duster has a 3k stall and about 400 wheel horspower

I bought the 002 003 springs and the drivers side sat about an inch lower than the passenger side on my 64 dart. So I ordered an extra passenger side spring and now I have 2 passenger side springs. it sits level but it was too high, so I lowered it 2 inches with blocks. I would not suggest doing this, I probably will order another drivers side and get rid of the blocks.

Dont forget to check with your local dealership before ordering the springs, you may save a bunch on shipping that way.

I bought the 002 003 springs and the drivers side sat about an inch lower than the passenger side on my 64 dart. So I ordered an extra passenger side spring and now I have 2 passenger side springs. it sits level but it was too high, so I lowered it 2 inches with blocks. I would not suggest doing this, I probably will order another drivers side and get rid of the blocks.

Dont forget to check with your local dealership before ordering the springs, you may save a bunch on shipping that way.

I did the same thing. Two 002 springs work great and has the stance I liked.

I still like the 002-003 combo on my fastback , a little tweak of the torsion bars takes car of the steering issue and the car hit the tires real hard when I want it to . might get another set to try the pairs thing everybody is talking about .

I still like the 002-003 combo on my fastback , a little tweak of the torsion bars takes car of the steering issue and the car hit the tires real hard when I want it to . might get another set to try the pairs thing everybody is talking about .

Oh they do work well for launching. The 003 right side sits higher and the leaf spring orientation is different than the 002 for just that reason.

I like how the SS springs make the car sit crooked. It's like it's up to somethin. lol

Funny, every time this topic comes up I seem like the only one who is for the S/S spring on the street. Ride quality is just fine when using the right shocks, and my right height is dead even in the rear. I replaced springs, shocks and rear shackle bushings all at the same time. Ordered all the parts from my parts dept ( dodge dealer ), only diff I saw in the 2 springs was the right spring had a beefier front segment.... If I remember right, the arch was the same also. My buddy has 16 mopars, one is a bone stock '63 880 sedan, one demon has a 4 link, the rest all have S/S springs. He daily drives 4 of them, and I do mean DAILY ! The newest car he has is a '71 fury vert .. None of his cars are crooked in the rear, and he has never complained about ride quality. I say go for it, unless your trying to compare the ride to a new lexus, you will be fine with it .

Funny, every time this topic comes up I seem like the only one who is for the S/S spring on the street. Ride quality is just fine when using the right shocks, and my right height is dead even in the rear. I replaced springs, shocks and rear shackle bushings all at the same time. Ordered all the parts from my parts dept ( dodge dealer ), only diff I saw in the 2 springs was the right spring had a beefier front segment.... If I remember right, the arch was the same also. My buddy has 16 mopars, one is a bone stock '63 880 sedan, one demon has a 4 link, the rest all have S/S springs. He daily drives 4 of them, and I do mean DAILY ! The newest car he has is a '71 fury vert .. None of his cars are crooked in the rear, and he has never complained about ride quality. I say go for it, unless your trying to compare the ride to a new lexus, you will be fine with it .

Sealing of shocks, which ones re you using?

I've been using 002 & 003 SS for over 20 years now. I also use Monroe Matic gas shocks, available through Just Suspension. They give the car a nice "attitude/rake" with the rear sitting a few inches higher in the rear than the front.

For the right side sitting a little higher, which makes the left front sit a little low. Just crank up the left front torsion bar to accomodate. Be sure to rock the front end after each adjustment of the torsion bar before you evaluate the new front end height.

I had them on a car that I drove over 300,000 miles as a daily driver. I have them on my 68 Formula S 340 that did crowd pleasing burnouts with no problem. I've had them on many other A bodies that I drove everyday; Valiants, Darts, etc. I love the ride and handling of them.

I don't recommend using the same # super stock spring on both sides. If you plan on driving the car a little hard, you need the stiffer right side spring. They found while developing the Charger R/T's in the late 60's that without the stiffer right spring, the car could jump a full lane to the right while launching. This is why you need to run a stiffer right spring.

Good luck.

Oh, yeah, if you can't line up the shocks after installing the ss springs, jack up that side a little and they should fit.

All you have to do is lay the 002 and the 003 side by side and the difference is obvious. Hell Stevie Wonder can see the difference. If your cranking the left torsion bar to compensate for the higher attitude of the right rear your defeating the design and how they are intended to work. Why do it if your goal is a level rear stance?

If your cranking the left torsion bar to compensate for the higher attitude of the right rear your defeating the design and how they are intended to work. Why do it if your goal is a level rear stance?

I don't believe that cranking up the left torsion bar defeats the purpose of the stiffer right rear spring. It is stiffer due to the spring rate, cranking up the torsion bar does not change the spring rate of the spring - that is designed in with the leafs.

As far as why to get the front end "level", it is for handling. If you drive on the street, you may want the car to corner better. Not to mention that they were originally designed to be level.

I have been using the SS springs for over 25 years now and they are fine when you run the front end level. Even with the ss springs, when I do a burnout, I still have to counter steer to the right as the rear end tends to "walk" that way during a good burnout. I can smoke the tires until I decide to stop with my 340, all the way to red line.... A crowd pleaser at the first three Woodward Dream Cruises when the cops would let you do burnouts. :) :D

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Now they won't :(

I didn't crank mine all the way to level I just tweaked them to stabilize the steering , I find my car launch`s dead straight and will burn out the same but has a little wiggle when the springs unload, this is what you would expect from a setup that compensates for unequal torque load once that load is removed .

-
Back