which thermostat size for my 440

-

troop

Reaction score
Gotta question. I ordered a Mr Gasket thermostat (part number 4367) as a replacement for the non operating one in it now. when I went to put it in it was too small. seems like everyone carries the same sized one for my motor and they are all too small. what am I missing here and how can I find the right thermostat??? getting ready to forget it and run it without one.

i think the diameter is a bit smaller than the recessed hole they sit in, if that's what you mean. coil spring end goes toward the engine.

Gotta question. I ordered a Mr Gasket thermostat (part number 4367) as a replacement for the non operating one in it now. when I went to put it in it was too small. seems like everyone carries the same sized one for my motor and they are all too small. what am I missing here and how can I find the right thermostat??? getting ready to forget it and run it without one.

What was your solution to the problem?

If you go to the Stant website and use the vehicle look up function ie 1970 Ply Cuda 440 cu in you can get the correct part number. The diameter you need is 2.50".
Ernesto

If it sits into the machined area and does not fall into the opening it is the correct one. All the 1960s-1980s used the same stat. Maybe you've got the wrong thermostat (water outlet) housing???

-
Back