which to do

-

maxie

Reaction score
I have always wanted to build a hemi A body. I am gathering the parts to build another hemi and I am coming together in a timely manner with those parts. My thinking has been, maybe 1 day I will have a real hemi car and I could put this motor in and pull the original if it was a numbers car. I dont have money falling out my butt and I work a lot of overtime to pay for my hobby, no credit. Not overtime= no car parts.

So with the price of building a hemi A body do you feel a person is better of to just put that money toward an original hemi car? I am partial to a strip down, elcheapo, base model 66-67 B body.

What's your input?

I think you'd be money ahead to build your own & enjoy it. But.......with the collector car market (as well as the economy in general) going soft like it is you MIGHT run across a deal on an original. A couple of problems with that. You'll have to have the money available if/when you find one for sale, and, there's probably a LOT of people also looking for that same deal.

If it was me, & I was able to do it, I'd probably build a Hemi-Dart Clone or a 70-71 Hemi-Cuda clone (because I've always loved the 70-71 cars). You could do it your way & enjoy the hell out of it without the worries that come with owning & driving an original.

Right now I have the road runner, which is an original 383 car and I put a noncrate hemi in it. My dad has a 71 340 cuda, I bought from the original owner in 1990 for $1000 and then we are partners in a real fm3 t/a challenger. So if I want to go out to a cruise or a show I have a numbers car available, but I am not a big E body fan. I really like square boxey cars like the road runner and the 68-69 darts. I looked at a 67 barracuda last weekend, I had one from the time I was 19-25 and I like those, but I think it would be easier and cheaper to build a dart.

Right now I have the road runner, which is an original 383 car and I put a noncrate hemi in it. My dad has a 71 340 cuda, I bought from the original owner in 1990 for $1000 and then we are partners in a real fm3 t/a challenger. So if I want to go out to a cruise or a show I have a numbers car available, but I am not a big E body fan. I really like square boxey cars like the road runner and the 68-69 darts. I looked at a 67 barracuda last weekend, I had one from the time I was 19-25 and I like those, but I think it would be easier and cheaper to build a dart.

I hear there's nothing CHEAP about it! 8)

what I meant about cheaper, is that isnt there less trim on a dart than the barracuda, grille and parts availabilty?

-
Back