which torque converter (904)

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart dirt track stock car. 360/904/7&1/4. has a fairly wild cam in it (don't have the specs). stock TC is still in there. I'm thinking I need to upgrade. what company should I contact & what info should I have ready for them & will they have me fill out a questionaire? thank you for your time.

You are probably going to need the cam specs to get the converter right for your application.

Years ago in my Dirt Cars = all I did was replace the
11 3/4 with the 10 3/4 and had good results without spending
a ton of money for that application. Also kept from building
up a lot of heat in the trans and killing it (Even with a good cooler).

Last edited:
Years ago in my Dirt Cars = all I did was replace the
11 3/4 with the 10 3/4 and had good results with spending
a ton of money for that application. Also kept from building
up a lot of heat in the trans and killing it (Even with a good cooler).
That ^^^^^ "About" all I would do would be go to something similar to a 340 high stall.....but in a modern converter.

if rules allow you should run a solid coupler and not a converter, with a bypass valve! but if you must run a converter you need one that stalls to the rpm you need coming up off the corner so you can hit your max rpms at end of straightaways! youll need a trans man that will work with you to dial it in like bushsore racing trans and still gonna be giving up alot to a standerd trans and direct drive like the burts and brinns! most folks that try it go back to manual or direct drives and cuss the money thay lost on the automatics, but good luck with it! on a side note, any body need a turbo350 set up by bushore for dirt racing hit me up in a pm!

3500 or higher or it will be a pig off the turns on a short track. Been there

002.jpg

Run a Part throttle kick down valve and a light weight governor and just leave it in drive. Two hands on the wheel turn right to go left.

spoiler pics 747.jpg

if rules allow you should run a solid coupler and not a converter, with a bypass valve! but if you must run a converter you need one that stalls to the rpm you need coming up off the corner so you can hit your max rpms at end of straightaways! youll need a trans man that will work with you to dial it in like bushsore racing trans and still gonna be giving up alot to a standerd trans and direct drive like the burts and brinns! most folks that try it go back to manual or direct drives and cuss the money thay lost on the automatics, but good luck with it! on a side note, any body need a turbo350 set up by bushore for dirt racing hit me up in a pm!

This. If you don’t know your MINIMUM corner exit RPM your converter will be off. The OP really needs exact cam specs first because that and gearing will dictate MCE RPM

Do the rules for your class say that you have to use an automatic transmission?

We used to run a hydraulic coupler on a Power glide. Worked good.

good comprehensive info! stick or auto is OK. its looking like a locked converter with a bypass valve to control it might be a good way to go. thanks guys!. RR

Do the rules say you have to use a torque converter? I ran a direct drive coupler for a chevy in place of the converter. I drilled the LA crank bolt pattern between the chevy bolt holes. Also had to open up the register hole to fit the mopar crank. You will need a quicktime flexplate with a ring gear on it (Mine was internal balance). I used a bellhousing adapter (mopar to chevy) that had the starter mount incorporated and served as rear engine mount. Or you can use the transmission mount. I did it both ways. I used a power glide for a transmission. That was before we could use the aftermarket 2 speed transmissions such as a Brinn or Falcon. In my opinion if your rules allow these type of racing transmissions are a much better option. They have fewer moving parts, no clutch is needed, light weight, compact in size, very durable and easy to operate and maintain. And if a true accounting is done of the cost of a transmission and related parts it is probably competitive in price. If your interested in how I did the glide setup I can get you pictures and part numbers.

-
Back