Which way to go?

-

herekdkd

Reaction score
I'm begining my '71 Swinger 318 column/auto project and I've been doing some research on available exhaust options, and I'm just wondering if anybody's had any experience or insight into the Pypes complete exhaust kits. They're claiming that the system runs from the collector back, but I'm skeptical due to the simple fact that (as we all know), the collector location is relavant to WHICH headers one has. From what I've read here in this forum, TTI is the way to go as far as headers, and that's where I'm leaning towards as far as that. I guess my question is, would it be better to just have my local muffler shop run the pipes, or should I go with this "slip together" kit for @ $260.00? Or are their better options out there?
Thanks in advance. :salute:

I had my exhaust installed by a Midas Muffler shop in 1988 and it's been on there since. In my opinion on the muffler shops seem to use better quality steel and I haven't had any issues with my exhaust since. I remember giving them a H pipe kit to install and them looking at it and saying "this is junk" and they made a kit out of their heavier gauge material. Anyway it is most definitely a lot easier to have them install it.

One of my local shops wanted $400 to do from the downpipes off the manifolds to the back even though I was supplying the mufflers.
I thought "screw that" and built my entire system with headers, collectors, hangers, Flowmasters and 2.5 aluminized pipe for that.

I guess it all depends on how much you can do on your own.

I had my exhaust installed by a Midas Muffler shop in 1988 and it's been on there since. In my opinion on the muffler shops seem to use better quality steel and I haven't had any issues with my exhaust since. I remember giving them a H pipe kit to install and them looking at it and saying "this is junk" and they made a kit out of their heavier gauge material. Anyway it is most definitely a lot easier to have them install it.

That's kinda what I'm afraid of...the do-it-yourself kit being junk. Maybe I'll hit up my local muffler shop and get a quote before I break out the credit card and start ordering stuff that may be low grade.

Thanks for your input superchargeddrt!

One of my local shops wanted $400 to do from the downpipes off the manifolds to the back even though I was supplying the mufflers.
I thought "screw that" and built my entire system with headers, collectors, hangers, Flowmasters and 2.5 aluminized pipe for that.

I guess it all depends on how much you can do on your own.

I'm decent mechanically, but I don't have the tools to bend and weld pipe. I was just thinking that it would be easier to assemble a kit, but I'm skeptical about how durable it would be without even a tack weld anywhere.

Appreciate the input!

-
Back