Which welder to buy?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
The only welding I have really done was when I was younger, in high school, and I would hardly call it welding.

I would like to weld patches in the floor in the Dart, and figure it would be something good to learn. Obviously I'll practise on scrap before trying on the Dart.

My question is, what type of welder should I buy? I was told I should by a wire feed, and not a stick welder, because a wire feed is best for thinner metal applications, where as a stick welder would just basically melt holes through the floor because it is thin.

Give me some advice please.

for doing body work and light ga metal i would buy a 110v mig (wire feed), with a bottle. do not do flux core.

there easy and very versital/cheap.

Thanks for the advice.

Could you possibly explain the difference between the bottle style and the flux core?

well flux core, like solder, is filled with an acid solution if u remember. so it helps clean what ur welding but any element can get into and contaminate the weld, including the acid

by having a welder that has a bottle, usually 75%CO2/25%Argon or 100% Argon ( for aluminum and i think copper), it allows or a much cleaner and better weld. the gas makes a shield that protects the weld from the elements that would normally contaminate the weld.

well flux core, like solder, is filled with an acid solution if u remember. so it helps clean what ur welding but any element can get into and contaminate the weld, including the acid

by having a welder that has a bottle, usually 75%CO2/25%Argon or 100% Argon ( for aluminum and i think copper), it allows or a much cleaner and better weld. the gas makes a shield that protects the weld from the elements that would normally contaminate the weld.

x2
the gas changes the atmosphere where the weld is. Its a night and day differance between flux core and gas welders

oh, and don't buy something just because its cheap. welders and air compressors are worth spending extra money on.

oh, and don't buy something just because its cheap. welders and air compressors are worth spending extra money on.

haha my turn 2x!!

buy a lincoln or miller. every body has a different liking but get what u like.

ALSO!! do not cheap ou on the hood! if u get an auto darkening helmet get a good one cuz the cheap ones dont turn on fast enough and will give u flash burn.

some of the welders at Northern tool are made by Miller, but are about half the price. You just have to research them first to find out which ones are. They are probably good welders for a hobbist.

one of the most important differences is you can run smaller wire with a gas shield over flux core. this is much better for thin metal.gas shield makes nice looking welds and isn't that hard to learn, all it takes is practice and getting the machine set right.

I would go with the 140 amp which is the largest 110v before they go to 220v. My buddy bought a Clarke 140 and has used the heck out of it with no problems yet.

Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, ect most wirefeeds are all made by one company...Tweco. The only real difference is the gun and the fittings where the gun plugs into the welder. My personal preference is the Hobart handler 150 that runs on 220 with a 75/25 bottle that I have at work. At home I have a Millermatic 130 that runs on 110 and a 75/25 bottle but for any sheet metal/body repairs just get a good set of torches, rods and learn how to hammer weld! You don't have to get a super expensive set of Victor torches, you can goto Harbor Freight and get their set. There is no real difference between the Victors and the HF sets and the tips all interchange. The only real cost will be the bottles if you want to own your own or rent them from a supply house.

dittos in the Lincoln or miller I just bought a Lincoln 180c if you can find one with constant adjustment not the throw switches that don't give room for adjustment also flux cored wire comes in two types gasless and shielded (dual shield) I run the dual shield at work it runs great in all positions and is very versital but the hard wire (mig/shielded) is a wire you don't have to chip between passes but usually wont be able to run vertical up for the body work if you buy a good welder they should give you some 2 pound spools of wire that should give you something to try out one will be gasless and the other will need gas I have run the gasless with little trouble but you will have to play with the welder a little just to see what you prefer. but then again that is just my .02 cents

I have a few recommendations;

1. Find an adult education class in welding at a local vocational school. I took a twice a week for 8 weeks class in MIG and TIG and it made all the world difference in my welding ability. Plus you will get to try different machines. The class I took was $150.

2. Stick with a brand that your local welding supply store sells (even if you don't get it there) because they will have parts on the shelf. Hobart, Lincoln, Miller are the brands that professionals use and are what the supply houses stock parts for. FWIW, my neighbor dragged over his Clarke for me to fix and the parts are not as readily available. Absolutely stay away for house brands like Chicago Electric, you can't get parts period.

3. Flux core wire is not good for sheet metal work. The arc is hotter and the flux sprays off the end of the wire which tends to blow holes in the weld. 0.025" diameter wire is good for sheet metal and 0.030" is good for everything else on a car.

4. Unless you find someone with a gas bottle that is looking to get rid of it figure on around $200 for your first bottle from a gas supply house. After that refills will be $35-$50 for the smaller bottles. An argon CO2 mix is good for automotive welding and is cheaper than pure argon.

-
Back