Whine/noise from 727

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 727 with a reverse manual valve body bolted to a 340. The other day it started making a whining noise. I checked and the fluid was a little low so I added fluid. The noise hasn't gone away. It seems to get a little louder when the engine is hot. Fluid level is fine, I don't know why it's whining and it is making very nervous. I was thinking making the shift linkage from the shifter was a little out of alignment and causing it to not be into gear completely, but it seems to be shifting just fine. Any idea where to start?

Well turns out I'm a moron. One of those moments when being a younger guy with 90% of my car experience being on modern Euro cars bit me in the backside. I've had the car parked for a few weeks while I put a new floor in my show. Today I pulled the car out to move it and spend some time really listening to it, and giving it a good look over. Turns out its not the tranny. It was the power steering pump. I noticed a leak from the connection where the line meets the steering box from the pump. I had been losing fluid and it was low. I filled it and sure enough, sound went away! So good news is, it wasn't the tranny, bad news is :sign3::banghead::banghead::sign3:.

-
Back