Whirling/Squealing from 727 -- help!

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
Here recently my Dart has started to make a rather high pitched whirling/winning noise. At first I suspected the rear brakes but they have all new hardware, and don't show any unusual wear. The brakes never get hot and there are no out-of-place shiny spots on the drums. While cruising with some buddies last night it started to do it again. Sometimes it comes and goes but seems consistent when hot. It started to do it when I was slowing down to pick somebody up so I had my buddy hold is foot on the brake but let the car move slowly. I jumped out and crawled along beside it and now I'm thinking that It's coming from the transmission, possibly the tailshaft area. I've never had problems with the transmission since it was rebuilt. It is full of fluid and I went ahead and greased my exhaust bearings to make sure it wasn't them.

What could it be?

Here recently my Dart has started to make a rather high pitched whirling/winning noise. At first I suspected the rear brakes but they have all new hardware, and don't show any unusual wear. The brakes never get hot and there are no out-of-place shiny spots on the drums. While cruising with some buddies last night it started to do it again. Sometimes it comes and goes but seems consistent when hot. It started to do it when I was slowing down to pick somebody up so I had my buddy hold is foot on the brake but let the car move slowly. I jumped out and crawled along beside it and now I'm thinking that It's coming from the transmission, possibly the tailshaft area. I've never had problems with the transmission since it was rebuilt. It is full of fluid and I went ahead and greased my exhaust bearings to make sure it wasn't them.

What could it be?
Possibly the outer ring of the sprag is rotating in the case because the splines are shredded and not holding it in place ?

I'm going to pull the pan to see how the filter looks.. hopefully there isn't debris

bigtom - definitely sounds farther back than that
kursplat - no sir, threw that in there for laughs ;)

pulled the tailshaft and see nothing wrong. Speedo gear looks fine, as does the sprag. Turned it by hand a few times and very quietly I could hear the noise. Sounded like it was coming from above the valve body. So I pulled it and still don't see anything too terrible. Bands are pretty sloppy... would that make that kind of a noise? Noise gets worse with higher rpm and when it gets hot.

Other than that everything looks okay.. fluid was a little dirty, but this is my first change since my father and I rebuilt it.

kursplat - no sir, threw that in there for laughs ;)

pulled the tailshaft and see nothing wrong. Speedo gear looks fine, as does the sprag. Turned it by hand a few times and very quietly I could hear the noise. Sounded like it was coming from above the valve body. So I pulled it and still don't see anything too terrible. Bands are pretty sloppy... would that make that kind of a noise? Noise gets worse with higher rpm and when it gets hot.
:lol:
by "bands are sloppy" you checked the bands are properly adjusted or you can slip a finger between them and the drum?

I can move them back and forth a considerable amount. They were both about 3 turns from contacting the drum. Waiting for my torque wrench to arrive to properly adjust them

-
Back