White oxidation on Holley

-

DusterDale

Reaction score
Hi FABO Happy Sunday.

I'm rebuilding my little 1850 Holley (Thanks RRR for the write-up!) and after a carb dip and brushing the white oxidation comes right back. Any tips on how to keep it away? or is it even worth worrying about. Here's a picture of the metering block after it was cleaned.

Thanks again,
Dale

Attachments

• DSC_1674.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 262
Id say as long as the sealing surfaces arent pitted and all ports are clean you should be good but thats just my observation

Is it dry, or gummy? Any small engine carbs ive cleaned looks the same after cleaning, from what ive read only way to get rid of it is soda or sand blasting

I had the same problem with my 670 street avenger. I soaked it overnight, brushed it, blew it out. Everything. And it still had that whitish look to it. I reassembled it and ran it anyways. It runs ok, still needs some minor tuning. Next time I pull it off it goes in the parts shaker at my buddies hangar to see if that makes a diff.

It's a dry white powder, doesn't feel gummy at all. Was wondering if a light wiping with something like WD40 would help stop it from returning till its reassembled?

I'm using that Berrymans Chem-Dip. Doesn't seem to be very aggressive. The only warning on it is saying not to soak plated aluminum parts for longer than 4 hours. There's not much plating left on my carb, its probably 20 years old.

Most Holley bodies/bowls are not aluminum. They are made from what is commonly known as "pot metal", a combination of mostly (90% or more) zinc alloyed with some magnesium and aluminum. The metal is sealed with that gold/brown colored plating, which helps to stop corrosion. Of course over the years the plating wears off, and you are left with that white corroded zinc. Other than looking bad, there isn't really any harm to it.
The throttle bodies are an aluminum alloy however.

If it won't interfere with the gaskets sealing, then don't worry about it.

I heard WD-40 staves it off but just collects everything thats flying around down there. Its on every pre AL Holley I have seen. If you dont like it on the outside, clear coat it. ITs always in the bowls after you buy one, sometimes enough to shake out. Soak a Holley in Berrymans overnight and itll come out a dark silver, clean as a whistle but also cleaned of any zinc phosphate plating.

Thanks Karl and pishta. It doesn't seem to be at all affecting the gasket sealing. I'll get it back together and mist it with a little clear (or maybe a chromate looking spray, not a big fan of that tho). I wont be using this carb on my 440 but I wanted to get the little guy back in shape.

Thanks as always!
Dale

-
Back