Who cares!??

-
abodyjoe said:
your gonna love that alter-k.. wait till you see how easy it is to install... and how well it drives and handles..

cool. i saw the install pics you took. thanks for posting them. your car looks great by the way.

Guitar Jones....We gotta get together. Didn't realize you were in Florida. I'm in Palm Bay 32909... Probably not too far from ya.

A touchy subject, to be sure.
Chew on this; These cars were produced as factory "freaks" to attract the younger, wilder crowd. We're no longer young.....but still have a wild streak.
The folks judging these cars at the shows are "purists".... if monetary gain is your goal, then keep it original. If, however, your heart beats to the rebel drum of the majority of us, then modify away. I personally hate "conformity" and try to shove it up the a$$ of those who insist I play by their rules every chance I get. This goes for my Duster, as well. It's MY car, dammit, and if you propose to tell me what I can or cannot do with it, then BUY IT FROM ME and do it yourself. Case closed.
Ahh, I feel all better now. :love4:

Hey Eric, while not exactly around the corner you aren't all that far from me. I'll be racing at Orlando Speed World the next two months on the 2nd and 3rd Saturday nights if you feel like coming out. You can usually find my trailer parked by the ET shack. If I'm not there it will be the large white one with the barking dog inside. lol

If you can, come on out, it would be nice to meet a member.

Hey Guitar Jones, I'll put that on my calendar, I been meaning to come up and check out the track and competition. While my car wont be done till like October (Hopefully)... I was planning on racing this Fall-Spring season. Maybe, I'll come lend some support some night. Coming to the track should give me some more inspiration to finish my car. As ya know building a car in Florida, in the summer, is pure "Mental Will" LOL Hope to catch ya soon !

You will get as many opinions are there are car owners on this subject.

I would agree that its a good idea to keep the rare cars original. But I get tired of hearing about how the "rare" cars are important pieces of history, and /6 cars only exist so we can cut them up and make hot rods. To me the /6 cars are just as much a part of history as the 440/hemi cars.

But with that said, look what I doing with my /6 68 dart. I just pulled out the /6 and threw it away in favor of a slightly modified 318 that I had sitting freshly built in the garage.
I also swapped in an 8-3/4 rear, sbp disk brakes with a booster, a front sway bar, CDplayer, and made some mods under the hood to "clean it up" and make it nicer to look at. (basically welding up unused holes, re-routed wires, etc).
I will continue to make changes that make the car handle better, run better, make it more comfortable to ride in, (like better, modern bucket seats). Maybe even someday i'll have fuel injection on it and a gearvendors overdrive.

But I will keep the car "looking" as original as possible on the outside. I like the looks of the old cars, but need some of the comforts of a modern car, because my car is being built to drive, not just to look pretty.

I am currently cutting up my 71 Scamp, thats where i got the 318, 8-3/4", disk brakes, etc, etc, for the Dart.
But even though the scamp was very rough bodywise and rusted badly in the quarters, it still bothers me very much that I'm cutting it up and that it will no longer exist as a car on this planet. A 71 Scamp is not that rare, but every time I pull off a part to sell, or cut off a piece to throw away, a little piece of me dies with it each time.

So over all, I guess my opinion is that these cars should be restored, restified, repaired, or hotrodded, but they should be driven, not kept in storage by snooty collectors as investments, or "pieces of history".

Eric_S68 said:
Hey Guitar Jones, I'll put that on my calendar, I been meaning to come up and check out the track and competition. While my car wont be done till like October (Hopefully)... I was planning on racing this Fall-Spring season. Maybe, I'll come lend some support some night. Coming to the track should give me some more inspiration to finish my car. As ya know building a car in Florida, in the summer, is pure "Mental Will" LOL Hope to catch ya soon !

That's cool, nothing gets your mojo working like coming out to the track without a race car. lol

It really doesn't bother me that much to cut up a car. I have a wrecked 75 Duster that I used to restore my 74 /6 Duster. But what does bother is the general consensus that /6's are junk and are meant to be yanked. But the good thing abut this is that alot of guys have spare slants laying around and if you pull a few strings you can get tons of parts for little or nothing.

My car is worth basicly nothing (orignal Convertriple 318/904 car)...i've already put twice as much in the car as it is worth, and I'm just getting started. But, like I told a friend...I'm not in it to make money. If I never sell the car, then technically I will never lose anything :headbang:

-
Back