Who here has deleted the quarter panel moldings on a 65 Dart?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 65 Dart. Soon I'll be doing the bodywork and paint. It has that 1" wide stainless steel trim atop the quarter panels that runs from atop the taillights then up and around the rear window. The trim on this car is dented down between the window and the taillights and I'm wondering who has successfully removed this trim and filled in whatever holes there are.
Is this a pisser to do? Is there a flange or seam that requires a lot of work to finish off correctly? I'd just replace the trim if this looks to be too much work. I'll end up selling the car and I prefer to do it right so the next owner is happy with it.
Thank you.

The trim covers the seam between quarter panel and the trunk surround panel. Unless you plan on doing hole filling and bodywork, I'd replace the trim.

I removed that trim on my 66. As said, the trim hides a seem, which will need to be filled and smoothed. Obviously, the holes need to be filled as well. For me, it was worth it, as that was the look I was going after. If you're just looking to sell the car, I'd probably try to locate a decent looking trim piece. It may be the same between 65 and 66.

I called a guy in the Eldorado Hills/Shingle Springs are that parts out the 60s A body cars. He said he has some of those trim pieces in his stash. I'll probably just replace what is bad and keep it stock.
Thanks, guys.

-
Back