Who knows 5.7 fault code diagnostics?

-

mopar56

Reaction score
Ok, this isn't in a A body, it's my son's daily driver 2011 Ram 5.7, completely stock 1500. Code p0016 says camshaft to crankshaft correlation, possible causes are, dirty oil..., it's not dirty and it's full, ...possibly a bad cam sensor, it was only 22 bucks so I changed it, I cleared the code and it came back, I cleared again and so far it's still off but only two short trips,... other info says skipped timing chain, it has 170000 kms which seems unlikely to be a worn chain. I don't want to throw parts at it but this is challenging to diagnose. I'm going to check the wire harness to the crank sensor tomorrow apparently it's under the truck on the passenger side and could be a issue?. Ideas? Any modern Mopar techs out there? Thanks

Not sure about your engine, but on some makes,if the cam chain stretches enough, it can throw a code.

Screenshot_20230127-040729_Firefox.jpg

170,000 miles is a lot of miles. Cam chain probably stretched, then jumped a tooth but still runs.

Depending on the alignment sensitivity , they don't necessarily need to jump a tooth.

Here is a how to video for a 2003 Ram 5.7 cam chain kit replacement.

Screenshot_20230127-043843_Firefox.jpg

Can get kits with the crankshaft mounted oil pump too as long as you are in there doing the timing chain.

20230127_041842.jpg

Plastic cam chain tensioners wear out. That is the oil pump, dark red.

Screenshot_20230127-042240_Firefox.jpg

Some examples of what the cam chain replacement is about.

The guide and tensioner ate known issues on early Eagle. Possibly a VVT solenoid issue? Or cam phaser issue?

408 swinger has the best possible guess in my book. the VVT solenoid might be full of goop and can't move. The PCM only looks for electrical continuity on it. Also have a dealer run your VIN. Some of those timing chains were recalled.

So as Frank just stated its only 105k miles as I stated the odometer in kms as I'm in Canada , FYI, this motor ate a camshaft at 125kms because of the whole vvt thing and all the solenoids were replaced then, it was done at the dealer, a big job to the tune of 5k! I'm leaning towards it being a bad chain or tensioner but think I'll tackle myself.

So as Frank just stated its only 105k miles as I stated the odometer in kms as I'm in Canada , FYI, this motor ate a camshaft at 125kms because of the whole vvt thing and all the solenoids were replaced then, it was done at the dealer, a big job to the tune of 5k! I'm leaning towards it being a bad chain or tensioner but think I'll tackle myself.
I personally have never seen a timing chain jump or wear out on a hemi. I have seen a couple of failed vvt solenoids however, setting that code.The earlier versions had screens that would fall apart and fail. You said it was replaced, but the new part may still have been contaminated with the cam failure debris if the passages weren’t cleaned thoroughly.RJ

Well that's a good point, because I had the repair done at the dealer the repair has a 24 month parts and labour warranty, IF I could confirm it was a solenoid i could get it covered but short of removing the intake for inspection I can't varify and if I take to the dealer to check and they don't find a bad vvt solenoid I'm on the hook for the labour. A catch 22 for sure damn it.

If it ate a cam then the MDS solenoids were replaced most likely not the VVT solenoid. They are not the same part.

If it ate a cam then the MDS solenoids were replaced most likely not the VVT solenoid. They are not the same part.
I am aware of that but plugged mds solenoids will of cause a timing fault where the vvt solenoid will cause the phaser not to adjust timing properly.

MDS solenoids will make cylinders drop in causing misfire codes but won't change the the cam timing. The VVT solenoid will cause timing codes.

I know they had problems with the wiring harness under the intake manifold going to them as well.

Watch the crank sensor with the scanner and see if that sensor drops out

Thanks for all the responses, I check my invoice and the mds solenoids were changed not the vvt, where is the vvt? Under the intake I presume? I do have a scanner nothing fancy I think it's a Novva or something? So I'm not sure if it dose live dynamic reads? As for the sensor it was Napa brand I didn't check it's country of origin.

Well I'd hate to pull apart the front of the motor only to find out the timing chain was fine then have to do the intake for the vvt or the other way around the problem is I'm just not sure which way to go? BTW I drove the truck all over yesterday and about 6 key starts the code hasn't come back yet.

Well I'd hate to pull apart the front of the motor only to find out the timing chain was fine then have to do the intake for the vvt or the other way around the problem is I'm just not sure which way to go? BTW I drove the truck all over yesterday and about 6 key starts the code hasn't come back yet.
Did you drive it under heavy load/acceleration? Pcm will need To meet the fault tolerance to set the code. Pulling the intake is not hard with only a few basic tools. Hardest part is getting the connector unplugged at the very back. The vvt solenoid is at the frt of the engine and held in with 1 ten mm bolt, twist the valve a few times to break the o ring seal and it will come out.If you still have the original style solenoid it will have screens, that are usually all torn up.The one with the wrapped spring is the superseded part and I haven’t seen one of those fail.RJ

0B3AD7EA-C66B-480B-87FE-9E53F2F2B99C.jpeg

820C8977-E84D-4FA1-9A70-1743CBCC2058.jpeg

Without going through all this, you have had a cam/lifter failure that has been repaired? VVT solenoid NOT replaced? If this is the case, there is metal trash in the screen filters of that solenoid. Do the math from there.....

-
Back