Who knows Dodge Ram auto.Transmissions?

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
I need some help with mine!
Its a 97 Ram 4X4 it started the other day not wanting to shift the second time so i changed the fluid and filter(filter was pretty dirty) drove it yesterday seemed to work just fine then this morning it started not shifting again but this time it doesn't want to shift the first time,if i bring the RPM's way up it will shift hard into gear!
I can't tell for sure if it's just not shifting and hanging up if it's slipping,i put some Lucas trans. treatment in it when i changed the fluid hoping maybe it would help.
Does anybody know what it could be? Do they make a rebuild kit for them?

This may sound silly but you may be low on fluid or have to clean your filer out again and make sure to jack the back tire's off the ground and let it free spin though the gears.
If it was dirty your clutches may be gone, or you just need to adjust the bands if there has been worn.

But!!!! The valve body may be sticking ! did you clean it out real good.
there will be some good tec's jump in here soon.
I had a 727 rebuilt and drove it home and the next day it did the same thing
and I called the rebuilder and he said to drop the pan and bring him the valve body, He found a stuck spring and cleaned and gave me fluid and gasket and filter an 50 bucks and it never gave me another problem.

When does it shift?3000-3500rpm?May need the governor solonoid and pressure transducer in valve body.Part #s 4617210 and 56041403aa.

There is a governor on those trannys that can stick. Fairly common problem with the 42/44/46RE trans. Could be the sensor for it too. Transmission governor pressure sensor.
(edit) looks like somebody beat me to the punch!

Had a simular problem with my 1998 ram. I took it to a transmission shop who could not figure it out (hooked to there computer) and then took it to the dealer. The dealer told me it was the throttle shaft. They said it developed "burs" on the shaft and caused it to "hang up" when trying to shift. They pulled it out, cleaned up the old shaft and all has worked well! Might want to look into that. Save yourself some money. AND from what a lot of people have told me. Get all that tranny treatment stuff out and go back to using the correct trans fluid. That additive stuff with only hurt you in the long run. Not sure how true but I did, I changed the filter and fluid and additives and went back to the proper trans fluid. (I also added the trans treatment hoping it would cure my problem). Good luck!

There is a governor on those trannys that can stick. Fairly common problem with the 42/44/46RE trans. Could be the sensor for it too. Transmission governor pressure sensor.
(edit) looks like somebody beat me to the punch!

Thanks for the help guys!
I'm not sure what trans. it is it looks like a 727 and has the same pan and filter.

Where is the sensor located for it?

Most of those sensors are located inside Kev. I have the manual for the 46RE in PDF format if you need it. It is very detailed. I can just email it to you.

Jack

Most of those sensors are located inside Kev. I have the manual for the 46RE in PDF format if you need it. It is very detailed. I can just email it to you.

Jack

That would help alot Jack! Please do send it when you get chance,Thanks!:read2:

when you look up at the valvebody, you will see the gov sensor and the pressure transducer. take out the 2 torx screws and 3 bolts, disconnect the wires from the sensors and the gov block will come down so you can replace both sensors.

when you look up at the valvebody, you will see the gov sensor and the pressure transducer. take out the 2 torx screws and 3 bolts, disconnect the wires from the sensors and the gov block will come down so you can replace both sensors.

Is it on the valve body itself or off to the side?
From what your saying i don't have to pull out the valve body at all?

Here's a few pics to help you out.

first one is the solenoid
second is the sensor (black thing upper right corner)

solenoid.jpg

sensor.jpg

i had the same problem om my 2002 ram,,would shift manually,,but not auto matically,,,and not always manualy,,truck was and is stil under warranty,,they had it fixed in 2 hours,,it was a pressure valve,,i know some one else had same problem on 2001 ram,,replaced it,, never a problem again,,

hope you get it figured out with out to much trial and error,,,

Ok need just a little more help!
I bought the new parts today the governor solonoid and the pressure transducer,the gov. came out pretty easy but the transducer will NOT come out!
It looks like it's just held in by O-ring and it turns but will not come out, any ideas of why i can't get it out?
I started by just pulling on it then ended up prying on it with screw drivers won't budge!

If you get done changing the transducer and it still acts up, you may have to replace the throttle position sensor. My '95 truck starts shifting goofy about every 4 years and I have to change the TPS.

Now i'm back to square one!
I changed the governor solonoid and the pressure transducer still not shifting so i changed the throttle sensor and that didn't make any difference.

I took it to the local trans. shop and they are gonna put it on the diagnostic for me,hopefully they will be able to find the problem!

If you have the 46RE they are notorious bad transmission and has to be rebuilt with in under a 100K miles. Some don't make it past 50K. I had to replace everything you did to mine to fix it but it was taking way to long to shift.

If you have the 46RE they are notorious bad transmission and has to be rebuilt with in under a 100K miles. Some don't make it past 50K. I had to replace everything you did to mine to fix it but it was taking way to long to shift.

I'm not sure which trans. it is,it has just a little over 100K miles on it.

So if it comes back that it's not anything elctronic what else could it be? I'm thinking maybe some dirt in the valve body screwing up a valve or maybe the the pump not making enough pressure to make it shift.
It will shift fine once or twice then it will wind out longer to shift then not at all but if i shift it by hand it will shift!

I'm still waiting to hear from the trans. place,i called earlier he said he would try to get to it this afternoon.
I hope that it's something that i can fix without having to pull the trans. out!
Anybody have any other ideas what else it could be,if not i guess i'll be on my own trying to figure it out.

I'm not sure which trans. it is,it has just a little over 100K miles on it.

So if it comes back that it's not anything elctronic what else could it be? I'm thinking maybe some dirt in the valve body screwing up a valve or maybe the the pump not making enough pressure to make it shift.
It will shift fine once or twice then it will wind out longer to shift then not at all but if i shift it by hand it will shift!

Well if it is a 46RE and you got 100K miles out of then you did real good.

I know a appliance repair man that has had to have is 46RE transmission rebuilt twice. But this is his work truck and that thing has a bunch of miles on it.

I hope it isn't anything serious that will require rebuild.

Good luck!

like i sadi in an earlier posting mine had the same thing,, it ended up being the pressure valve,,, a frind had the same thing,, but both our trucks are cumins diesel,,,, i didnt see if u had changed the vavle or not,, im sure you are frustrated,,,, i feel for you,, good luck,, it stinks having problems

It's pretty likely you have the 46RE. I have the same one and had it rebuilt last spring. 2500 dollars later and we're getting to where it needs to be. Your correct on the statement it looks like a 727 and has a 727 pan. This is because it does. I have a 98 Ram with the 46RE and a 84 ramcharger with a 727 and we've put the pan gasket from the 98 on my 84 because it's a reusable gasket. The 46RE is basically a electronically controlled 727 which personally I will be chucking the 46RE when I put in a rebuilt crate in my 98(SS/T) because I refuse to pay 2500 bucks for a trans rebuild when a 727 can be had rebuilt for less then 500.

The 46RE is basically a electronically controlled 727 which personally I will be chucking the 46RE when I put in a rebuilt crate in my 98(SS/T) because I refuse to pay 2500 bucks for a trans rebuild when a 727 can be had rebuilt for less then 500.

You will be giving up the overdrive going to a 727, but I assume that isn't an issue.

-
Back