Who refurbishes Tail Panels??

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who either makes a living from or refurbishes tail panels, trim, etc as a side job. I tried recently to strip and repaint my 68 Dart tail panel by taping it off, using oven cleaner on the reflective paint surfaces, and covering with plastic wrap in the sun. Worked great and paint came right off, unfortunately it ate through the tape too and bubbled my chromed and other painted parts. I know somewhere local where I can get it stripped, but does anyone have the skills to repaint it correctly for me, chrome edges and all? Please PM me if you are taking on projects like this and I can give you all the details. Thanks a million!

The shiny metal parts are not chrome. The stuff you see bubbling is techinically called clear Bright Dip. Most people call it anodizing. That whole part was bright dipped then they painted the black and silver argent on it. Same for the front grilles.

Many people that restore them strip the whole part leave the bright dip off. Then they straighten out the dents, polish the aluminum and repaint the details. The polished aluminum looks very close to original and can be shined up in the future. But the bright dip protects it from getting dull and resists really fine scratches.

It can be costly and hard to find for trim restorers a place that Bright Dips large pieces like that panel.

This professional is very good and many guys restoring mopars have been happy with the results:

http://shineonmetrim.com/aluminum/aluminum.cfm

Sample Pricing: [ame]http://shineonmetrim.com/pricing/pricing_sheet_Jan10.pdf[/ame] sounds like around $600

Yeah, I didn't figure it was chrome but found that as the best way to describe it without knowing the correct name. I'll shoot Waggin a PM and see if he can do it for under $600. If not, I wish I would have just left it alone. Thanks to those of you who gave me the help here.

-
Back