Who takes their abody on road trips?

-
My brother drove our 67 Barracuda convertible 700 miles in one day from Oregon to central California, then the next day we drove 400 miles to LA, and back 2 days later.

I have taken my 67 fastback on the California Melee twice. This is a 3-day, 900-odd mile tour of northern CA's twistiest back roads. I also did the Motherlode 400 in that car, which is a 2-day tour that crosses the Sierra summit 7 times.

These cars are rugged and simple, hence reliable. So long as you drive them regularly, road trips are no problem. If you only drive them once a month, in summer, on Sundays, well, you might uncover some weak points. For example, on the Motherlode, a guy had entered a beautifully restored, all-original equipment big-block 68 Charger. But he couldn't finish -- it overheated on the climbs, the brakes faded on the downhills, and the body roll in the twisties made his wife carsick.

Museum cars, show cars and 100-point concours cars make lousy road cars. Daily drivers make good road cars. It's the familiarity you only get by daily interaction that allows you to anticipate and prevent problems from turning into trip killers.

My first purchase ever using Ebay is my 68 Barracuda. Attended Spring Fling, picked it up in San Jose, then drove it home from CA to OH. Worked on fixing things at Max's house starting Monday and left Thursday afternoon about 3:30-4:00 PM. Got home Monday night about 11 PM and went to work the next day....
It was awesome!

Yeah, that was by far the "boldest" road trip I know of... you're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din! How's that thing doing, by the way?

100 mile round trip a day, 5 days a week, back and forth to work + drive her on the weekends anytime I need to go somewhere.

100 mile round trip a day, 5 days a week, back and forth to work + drive her on the weekends anytime I need to go somewhere.

Back when I had my slant I would drive the car anywhere. I was much younger and braver but there are still plenty of times I wish I had my little 225 over my 400 hp small block. I thought about buyying a old slant four door car for road trips but ended up spending the money on heads for the 360.

-
Back