who to trust for hydraulic flat lifters these days?

-
I called Schneider cams recently. They used to resurface lifters, but don't anymore. According to the gentleman I talked to from Schneider, hylift johnson lifters are pretty good and shouldn't require any type of surface correction.

Schneider lists new lifters on their site, I assume Hylift-Johnson is where they get them then?

If you cannot find any 25 yr old lifters 'on the shelf', it would be worth the time to go a wrecking yard & yank lifters out of an old engine.

Some people are asking for less radius for the radical profiles. High spring pressure. Comp has complied and is kicking their ***.

Whatever the lifter, light single valve springs will lighten the load on the lifters during break in.

Realistically how high could the lifter failure rate be and the cam companies stay in business ?
What about solid lifters ?

Title question pretty much spells it out. If I can't find any "made at least 25 years ago" and have to buy more current stock, who's good, or at least "less bad"?
I have a set here that (I don't know why anyone would keep old used ones around) I bought from a swap meet, I know the guy who sold them, all he remembered was that "I've had them around forever". I thought I was getting some Direct Connection NOS ones but looking at the bottoms I can tell they've been used. someone did a cam swap and put the old lifters back in the baggies and the boxes and then on the shelf. I ain't putting them on a new cam.
I hear all the doom and gloom about metallurgy failures in newer lifters, and want to avoid that.... I do have some old stock oil that I can use for break in, from about the mid-late 80s.... and some new stock (I forget which) Valvoline that's supposed to be high in zinc. so i have that covered.
I found what seems like a deal on both Lunati ("Micro-trol" I think??) and old standby Sealed power.... are they still as good as they used to be? either of these any good? I am stuck between possibly 1 of 2 cams I have here, one brand new Melling stock replacement (for a bigger engine than the 318 I'm putting these into) or a used COMP 260, used for ~6k miles and my son paid extra for Nitriding/tuftride treatment when he originally bought it....

I think I have some original hydraulic lifters with almost no miles on them out of a "68" or "69" 273. The cam looked like new and they were too good to toss, but I don't run hydraulic cams. You can have them for shipping if I can find them. Start a private conversation if interested.

I just broke in a comp 268 in a 318 with a new set of Howard’s lifters. Used the stock springs for break in then put the good springs in. They all measured great and rotated in the bores spinning the engine over with a wrench. They all got disassembled and cleaned prior to use and the engine was primed before starting. Runs great.
42EF2A11-DEA2-4C68-934D-A2EC44A064AC.png

Whatever the lifter, light single valve springs will lighten the load on the lifters during break in.
given the engine, either of the cams I'm considering and expected RPM range that's what's gonna be on there anyway.....

those were the ones I was looking at.... I thought Id seen somebody on here (albeit a while back) when we went thru the glut of "flat cam" threads that said theyw ere

-
Back