who's good at decodeing

-

dusterfanatic

The 340 Hammer
Reaction score
i need to know what type of slant six i have the guy i bought it from said it was a # matching car and had a 225 i just did a vin decode and it said it should have a 198 block number is 2806830-4 deck number is 1e128469 and cast number is 2843169-3

What's the first 7 digits of the VIN? Did you find the deck number you listed under the alternator bracket or was it somewhere else?

If the engine in the car is original, it's a 198 cubic inch slant-6. The block ID number is stamped on a thin surface that faces the sky, directly below #1 spark plug, inboard of the coil mounting bracket -- you haven't found it yet (or at least you haven't posted it yet). The 198 and the 225 use the same block (the difference is the crankshaft and connecting rods), so there's no such thing as a "198 block".

VL29B0B would be a stripper '70 Duster with a 198 slant built at Hamtramck. There is a number stamped in the block deck under the front spark plug and behind the alternator/coil bracket. It's a lot easier to read if you take off said bracket. The number will look something like this XX 198 XXXXXX or XX 225 XXXXXX. The first 2 digits tell you the car line, the next 3 are the displacement, and the last block of numbers is the sequence number of the car. If you really want a 225 I have a crank and rods I'll trade you for what you have since that is the only difference.

sorry what ever it is now is what i want to keep it thanks so much i will take a last look and post my findings so its not a cliff hanger for you guys lol

there are no other # on the block i even checked the head my piston connecting rod says AAVV 2B on the other side 2951250 HYG

Sounds like you have the engine apart. Measure the rod from center of the big end to center of the small end. If it is 7 inches, it's a 198. A 225 rod will measure 6.7 inches. If it's a 198, good score, and I'm jealous.

-
Back