Who's running low 10s with leaf springs?

-

ab7fh

Reaction score
Any action or setup pictures? Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I bought my Dart with S&W ladder bars under it. However, the install was badly botched and I don't have the bucks or experience to set it up properly.

The car also has a leaf spring relocation kit installed. I think that my best bet is to go back to leafs and use the Mopar Super Stock springs. That will get me up and running much quicker than a "back half" on the car.

10.50's using caltrac bars and split mono springs car weighs 3250 lbs
100_0285-1.jpg

I'm not familiar with split mono leafs. Could you describe them or do you have a link?

Are those 12" slicks?

If the Ladder install was botched, you might want to lend a hard eye to how the relo kit was installed.

^ I agree. I have more confidence in my ability to fix the spring mounts than I do fabbing up a new coil over setup. I won't run anything that's unsafe.

I almost went with a ladder set up but
1. It's not necessary. Seen guys run in the nines with springs.
2. Back halfing the car means you have to run a full cage. I wasn't willing to do that at the time.

You don't have to install a full cage if you back half a car. As long as you leave the stock floor in place from the firewall to behind the front seat you can use a 8 point bar.

Let me also add that while it may seem more expensive right now to back half the car it really isn't in the long run. I've run SS springs, the CalTracs with their split mono leafs and now I'm building a four link. Since you are already talking about a low 10 second car do yourself a favor and four link it now. You'll be bucks ahead in the long run.

Yeah I know there are guys out there running 9's with CalTracs and/or SS springs but I'll bet $100 they aren't consistent at every track. At least the CalTracs are adjustable, but the four link is the setup to have. You won't need another ever.

I'm a bracket racer and consistency is the name of the game, leaf springs are not going to provide that for you.

True enough G-Jones. It's all about progression. But if we all knew we were going to run 9's, 8's, or even 7's, we'd be ordering our setup from Vanishing Point indust. Correct? And in the meanwhile, missing a lot of time at the track. For me, building a street-strip car is the same as a car restoration in one respect. It's never quite done.........

I like what I see... Both of your rides hook up straight as an arrow.

Walter, what size slicks are you running?

I run 10.40's with the split leafs and cal-tracs. My 60's are close. Last time I was out I went 1.381,1.384 and 1.383, so I would say they are pretty consistant. Craig

I'm not familiar with split mono leafs. Could you describe them or do you have a link?

Are those 12" slicks?

Here is a 29.5x10.5W M/T slick that measures 12.5".
71Dart10162001_012.sized.jpg

High 10's with worn out leafsprings and a custom pinion snubber.

I saw a car run this weekend at Speedworld using the Caltrac's and monoleaf. Very nice indeed:D I'll be ordering mine soon. Thanks for the comments and pics.

10.004@133 m.p.h. is the best so far. tryin' a different carburetor in the spring. At a 133 m.p.h. I shoulda been in the high 9's. I 've gone 1.38 60ft. times. This car weighs 3468# with driver. Out back the car is on split monoleaf and caltracs. Up front Qa1r's and .840 torsion bars ( six cylinder). Pictures in my gallery speak for themselves.

that a boy sledgehammer, back to mopars.:cheers:

that a boy sledgehammer, back to mopars.:cheers:
LOL....I never left...but thank you for the welcome.

The Dart has been and still sitting in the corner on jackstands. Just now that the Camaro is gone (sold the Nova a while ago)....I have been putting a few wrenches to it again. :D
camaro_IMG_0774w.sized.jpg

I am looking at powerplant options right now....on a budget. As much as I don't want too.....I am also considering crossbreeding.....I got a seven second 1/4 motor at the machine shop right now. One of the other options I am looking at is turbocharging the small block that is in the car now. I will have to change the crank....don't think a cast crank will live long in a max effort boost application. ;)

I've been running 10's with SS leafs and ladder bars and can't see any reason to change, unless I really want to lose weight to go sub 10's, which would require chassis certification. The car hooks with a vengeance and launches straight - who could ask for more ? Plainly put, it boils down to a weight to power equation; if you don't have the power to hit your target ET, loosing weight maybe the ticket. I really don't think it a matter of Cal Tracs VS leaf springs/ladder bars. Both have been shown to work well. Dan

some how i thought he ask about leaf springs not with anything else added, well maybe a snubber but i don't like them either. so you all with added gismos seemed to have missed his question some how.

Biggest thing about the SS Springs, regardless of any other "gizmos," that you won't get with other type leafs (XHD's mono, whatever) is reduced body roll under launch torque. That was their design goal, works great and helps the car launch straight.

Many are running very fast w/SS Springs. Proven record. All esle is just academic arguing points that can be proven right or wrong either way.

SS Springs still best bang for the buck, hands down, IMHO.

I just ordered my springs, bars and U-bolts from Calvert today. I had them setup for a 1" lower than stock ride height, and 1.5" rear offset for the axle housing.

Things are moving along:D I just got my Stealth heads from 440Source last week and both of my 400 blocks came back from the machine shop clean, and magnafluxed. Both were found to have standard bores and no apparent problems. As soon as my bank account recovers, I'll be ordering my 440Source stroker kit:burnout:

Why two 400s? Well, I couldn't pass up the deal I found on Craig's list. Two 400s with two BB 727s for $150. I stripped both motors down, and sent them to the shop to get cleaned and checked out. I'll keep the block I don't use as a spare.

-
Back